2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder that do our car have transmission oil temperature sensor ? Is there anyone have an experience read the transmission temp through OBDII gauge ?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've tried a couple of apps and haven't seen trans temp for our cars. If you find one, you better let us know.

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
Automatic transmissions maybe, manual probably not.
Scangauge will work if you can find the right codes. I believe some ND Miata guys have done it. Again, AT only.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Now mind you I won't say 100% yet but I just looked at the 105 points of access with my Ultra Gauge I have hard wired and mounted in my M3 and also as a curiosity reading this thread took my Snap on Solus and look at in my 2018 and can not find ECU access for specif ATX transmission temperatures? All this means is with my slightly above average Scanner I personally can't find the info.
I don't have the time to look further now maybe next week?
Keep an I on my "dorky" thread for my M3 one of the near future projects are actually changing the lifetime never change ATX fluid and modifying the pan for a couple of things including a temperature sensor for gauge top read the trans temperature at 2 locations.

Gotta go.... and get outta of the shop ...... before a customer shows up and thinks we are open...LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If there's any app that can do it, it would probably be FORScan. Maybe check that one out.
I'll try that one out , will tell if there any updates

Automatic transmissions maybe, manual probably not.
Scangauge will work if you can find the right codes. I believe some ND Miata guys have done it. Again, AT only.
Yes , I'm talking about AT. Could you please direct me to the information that you refers?

Now mind you I won't say 100% yet but I just looked at the 105 points of access with my Ultra Gauge I have hard wired and mounted in my M3 and also as a curiosity reading this thread took my Snap on Solus and look at in my 2018 and can not find ECU access for specif ATX transmission temperatures? All this means is with my slightly above average Scanner I personally can't find the info.
I don't have the time to look further now maybe next week?
Keep an I on my "dorky" thread for my M3 one of the near future projects are actually changing the lifetime never change ATX fluid and modifying the pan for a couple of things including a temperature sensor for gauge top read the trans temperature at 2 locations.

Gotta go.... and get outta of the shop ...... before a customer shows up and thinks we are open...LOL
I'll keep look into your thread. Gotta do some mod too if there's no ATX sensor temp in our car.

I've tried a couple of apps and haven't seen trans temp for our cars. If you find one, you better let us know.
Have you tried FORScan? I think I'll try that out. If you have tried and it doesn't work , so I'll move to another solution.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll try that one out , will tell if there any updates

Yes , I'm talking about AT. Could you please direct me to the information that you refers?

I'll keep look into your thread. Gotta do some mod too if there's no ATX sensor temp in our car.

Have you tried FORScan? I think I'll try that out. If you have tried and it doesn't work , so I'll move to another solution.
Try to use FORScan on a laptop if you can, gives more options than android.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just tried setting Torque for tranny temp. It has a name of 'Transmission Temperature (Method 3). It shows a temperature. But, its the same temperature as the coolant temperature. So either the coolant and tranny run at exactly the same temperature while idling in my garage or the tranny gauge is getting coolant temps. My vote is on the latter. I'll drive around tomorrow with both coolant and tranny temps displayed and see if they ever differ.

EDIT: The tranny temp showed the exact same number as the coolant temp. I believe the coolant temp is correct as it tends to hover around 185°F.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If there isn't a temperature sensor probe in the tranny pan or lines, then Mazda did not provide for recording and reporting the tranny temperatures. I haven't heard of anyone finding such a sensor probe on our cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Found something interesting today - there is a skyactiv-D plugin for torque PRO (easily googled). It has PID for the transmission temperature(TFT) which seems to be producing plausible results on my BM M3.

Tried it today on my 10mi, 30min trip home. TFT got slowly up to 192F - at the end of the trip. Engine coolant temp went up to 185-190F in a minute. I have BAXF adapter - nothing special.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can only speak to what I know, and that is that the ScanGauge II can read the Trans temp. You have to do a little programming, punching in an X-Gauge as they call it, but it's really straight forward. I think it was alt 4 on the list that worked for my car ('15 Mz3 iGT auto). The way I understand it, Mazda routed a trans oil line through the bottom of the radiator as a sort of light duty trans cooler. I think it also helps the trans warm up faster. (Don't quote me on this tho haha). As a result, the trans temp tends to be similar to the engine coolant temp. Typically, I'll see a trans temp 5-10 F cooler than the engine on the highway, and pretty much identical around town. I know it's definitely reading something different than the engine coolant temp, tho, as it takes significantly longer for it to get to operating temp than the coolant temp readout. Also, there was one time I was pushing it hard in the twisties, and got the trans temp readout a few degrees above the engine coolant readout.

Anyhow, below is a link to the scanguage website with the X-Gauge codes. If you don't have a ScanGauge, I'd recommend it. It does as much as, and more than most of those apps, and you don't have to dink around with your phone and deal with updates and crashes etc. It is a little spendy tho.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/mazda/

·
Registered
165 Posts
Happy to clear up the misinformation.

Straight from the mazda repair manual:

Adjust the ATF level.
a. Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2 and display PID TFT
b. Warm up the engine until the ATF temperature is 50C

Like I said earlier FORScan is the tool people should check out, its as powerful as the dealer mazda tools and in some ways MORE powerful. I was able to pull up PID and TFT was listed, I added it and did get a temp reading. Since you guys brought up coolant temps I will verify how the TFT sensor compares but regardless this is the method that mazda suggests

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I can only speak to what I know, and that is that the ScanGauge II can read the Trans temp. You have to do a little programming, punching in an X-Gauge as they call it, but it's really straight forward. I think it was alt 4 on the list that worked for my car ('15 Mz3 iGT auto). The way I understand it, Mazda routed a trans oil line through the bottom of the radiator as a sort of light duty trans cooler. I think it also helps the trans warm up faster. (Don't quote me on this tho haha). As a result, the trans temp tends to be similar to the engine coolant temp. Typically, I'll see a trans temp 5-10 F cooler than the engine on the highway, and pretty much identical around town. I know it's definitely reading something different than the engine coolant temp, tho, as it takes significantly longer for it to get to operating temp than the coolant temp readout. Also, there was one time I was pushing it hard in the twisties, and got the trans temp readout a few degrees above the engine coolant readout.

Anyhow, below is a link to the scanguage website with the X-Gauge codes. If you don't have a ScanGauge, I'd recommend it. It does as much as, and more than most of those apps, and you don't have to dink around with your phone and deal with updates and crashes etc. It is a little spendy tho.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/mazda/
You're lucky. Tried all stated SGII options, can't seem to get em to show tranny temps in the Sky BM & DJ.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
I can only speak to what I know, and that is that the ScanGauge II can read the Trans temp. You have to do a little programming, punching in an X-Gauge as they call it, but it's really straight forward.
If you have a Scangauge, take a look at it and post the TXD, RXF, RXD and MTH codes you are using. Most of what is published for Mazda seems to be for pre- Skyactiv cars, although there are some codes that will work on the current Mazda 3.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If you have a Scangauge, take a look at it and post the TXD, RXF, RXD and MTH codes you are using. Most of what is published for Mazda seems to be for pre- Skyactiv cars, although there are some codes that will work on the current Mazda 3.
Looks it. I've contacted Linear Logic for Sky-specific ScangaugeII code updates way back. They requested a volunteer guinea to plug in one of their data logger modules. This will allow them to see a map of every PID that is supported and may help to provide updates on XGauge codes to test. One would just have to plug the data logger in for about 30 minutes while the car is running, then unplug it and ship it back to Linear Logic. I'm way too far from them for the back & forth. Anyone local to them who might be able to help, here are their contact details:
Linear Logic, LLC

2222 S. Dobson Rd Suite 800
Mesa, Arizona 85202
Phone:*480-656-4089
Fax:*480-656-4418
Email: [email protected]

Thanks!!! Happy New Year ahead!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
https://imgur.com/a/fqffFGT#43vl7sO

After a ~40min drive here are my temps. You can see that TFT and coolant sensors show a different value.

Im just using this:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005NLQAHS[/ame]

And FORScan app on android phone

·
Registered
158 Posts
BrotherAli is right, Forscan can read the trans temp.

I had used Forscan for Windows. I didn't realize they made an Android app. I'm not willing to lug a laptop around but have several old Androids I can dedicate to gauges.

Without adding custom PIDS, Torque appears to be limited to reading the PCM. Forscan can read a lot of modules. Its a bit overwhelming. For those wanting the most info, Forscan is the way to go.

I live in a hot environment and plan on towing a boat up and down hills with my 2.0l, auto trans, Mazda3. Trans temps could be a good indicator of an iffy situation.

Forscan isn't perfect, tho. Torque allows sizing the gauges independently of other gauges. Forscan can make all the gauges bigger or smaller but can't change just 1 gauge. For instance, I used Torque to display my speed in a large font while temps and voltages were smaller. This allowed a quick glance to determine my speed and a longer look to check temps and volts. (The steering wheel blocks the top of the speedometer for me, I'm tall.)

Another issue I have with Forscan is you can't setup the dashboard without being connected to the car. I spent a lot of time in my cold car with the key on but engine off. I drained my car battery. I thought I had done more serious damage as the speedometer jumped to 160 mph and the idiot lights were flashing while the car wouldn't even attempt to turn the engine.

I use the OBDLink MX adapter. OBDLink makes an app too. It has a $9.99 add-in specifically for Mazdas. I may splurge to check it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts