2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve noticed if I have my mazda in manual mode, it won’t downshift on some pretty steep hills that normally cause it to kick down from 6th to 4th gear. It would seem that if it would normally have to downshift 2 gears to handle the hill, that keeping it in 6th with manual mode could be straining/lugging the engine with too high a ratio. It still goes up the hill just fine without losing any speed. But why would it normally downshift from 6th to 4th, but have zero need to in manual mode? I’ve been concerned about not letting my car downshift when it normally would be and if it could be having any negative effects on my car.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Lugging an engine is not normally recommended, as it puts a big load on the engine and transmission.

I don't understand why the auto tranny won't allow a manual downshift when in manual mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Err lemme clarify. It will downshift like normal if I “ask” it to, but I assumed it would recognize a lack of hp/torque on steep hills and downshift on its own, similar to how it will downshiftbautomatocallybin manual mode when slowing down to speeds not appropriate for that gear.

In my old car the engine would start sounding stressed if I needed to downshift. But the Mazda is much smoother, and I’m afraid I may be missing excess stress on the Powertrain by not downshifting when going up a hill because of how smooth the engine is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Err lemme clarify. It will downshift like normal if I “ask” it to, but I assumed it would recognize a lack of hp/torque on steep hills and downshift on its own, similar to how it will downshiftbautomatocallybin manual mode when slowing down to speeds not appropriate for that gear. “

Downshift onnits own***

(Can’t figure out how to edit the post)

·
Registered
54 Posts
While driving in manual mode, I sometimes forget to downshift before going up a steep hill and it goes from 6 to 4 when my revs are too low like 1,200 rpm or lower and I apply a bit more pressure on the gas pedal. I'm not sure if there is a sensor that detects that you're going through a hill or if its still based on how much pressure you apply on your gas pedal. Will test this out again when I get a chance on my way home from work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha very funny. True, having a good ol’ manual would simplify things a bit. I used to drive one until, well, i stopped, lol. I miss it, tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts