·
Registered
206 Posts
yup i would like to know others input.

change ATF @ 30K 60K and 90K???

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's pretty much what I'm doing right now. I might switch to 20k or 15k intervals if I feel like my trans is starting to act up. I'm still not 100% sure how well the auto trans can take monthly track days.
Are you DYI or going to shop to do it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drain plug

I really would like to squash all of this misinformation going around about the Skyactiv 6AT being a sealed unit. There IS a drain bolt on the transmission pan, in the same place as the non-Skyactiv 5AT. You just have to remove the aero plate to access it. The dealer even recommends servicing the AT at 100k miles (terrible idea i think, fluid will be toast by then).

The ATF-FZ fluid, however, is a pain to get ahold of though. I tried ordering from 3 different places online and they refused to ship it to me saying it was considered hazerdous material. BS!! Honda dealers don't have any problems shipping me ATF for my Acura. I ended up having to go to my dealer for it at the full retail price of $14.89 (ouch! 3x what I pay for fluid for my luxury vehicle!). Like most transmissions, a drain and fill will set you back exactly 3.5 quarts. The PDF posted earlier shows where the dipstick is, which is where you fill from after you drain. The bolt that holds the dipstick in is 10mm. I use a cheap funnel from wal-mart that has a long hose attached and simply run it through the engine compartment from up top and it fits nice and securly in the dipstick hole. I just bought my 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv and it was a rental with 35k miles on it already. The "lifetime" fluid was already fairly dark brown (not blue at all like the new fluid) and had a lot of metal shavings in it. Glad I am changing it now!! Will probably do two more drain and fills over the next two weekends to catch up, then get on my cycle of doing a single drain and fill of the ATF every 10k miles.

Some will say this is overkill, but if you think about it, if you do a single drain and fill every 10k you keep fresh fluid in there and you have roughly cycled through the fluid every 30k miles. It also just makes life easy to take care of both while you are under there and have the aero plate off, since I use Mobil 1 and I do a 10k OCI for the engine as well. Easy to keep track of, every time the ODO hits 5k rotate tires, and every time you hit 10k change oil and atf and rotate tires. Sold my 2010 mazda 3 with 95k miles on it and the transmission was still shifting buttery smooth. Plan to keep my new Skyactiv up the same way!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The ATF-FZ fluid, however, is a pain to get ahold of though. I tried ordering from 3 different places online and they refused to ship it to me saying it was considered hazerdous material. BS!! Honda dealers don't have any problems shipping me ATF for my Acura. I ended up having to go to my dealer for it at the full retail price of $14.89 (ouch! 3x what I pay for fluid for my luxury vehicle!).
If it makes you feel any better I just paid 20 bucks a bottle at the dealer. I went in planning to buy a case but they only had 8 total on hand. This stuff is expensive, hard to get ahold of and it doesn't even come in a cool bottle! :no:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Any MT sky 3's on here thought about doing a transmission fluid change?

If you have how did the fluid look and at what mileage? .. I still have quite awhile before I would bother messing with it, but I don't really like the idea behind the no-service transmission.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did mine around 20k mile mark. I wasn't there to see the old fluid. Sorry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did mine around 20k mile mark. I wasn't there to see the old fluid. Sorry.
What fluid did you use and did you have the dealer do it with your own fluid? I am at 21K miles and notice a notchy shifting into 4th...overall shifting is not as smooth as it was when the car had 5k miles and I want to enjoy the smooth tranny...

·
Registered
228 Posts
As per my signature, I used Redline MTL (70W-80, GL-4 fluid). I have a shop a block or 2 away that helps me with things since I bring them a lot of business.

Be warned if you do it, the owner's manual is WRONG about the capacity. The manual states it is 1.75 quarts of MTF, you will need 2.4 quarts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As per my signature, I used Redline MTL (70W-80, GL-4 fluid). I have a shop a block or 2 away that helps me with things since I bring them a lot of business.

Be warned if you do it, the owner's manual is WRONG about the capacity. The manual states it is 1.75 quarts of MTF, you will need 2.4 quarts.
Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you chose the 70W-80 fluid? Without doing further research, Redline mentions that the MT-90 75W-90 oil is popular in mazda vehicles (among others).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you chose the 70W-80 fluid? Without doing further research, Redline mentions that the MT-90 75W-90 oil is popular in mazda vehicles (among others).
Because the specified fluid is 75W-80 GL-4.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Bumping up for more info!

I'm at 30k miles in my '13 Mazda and would like to drain/fill the fluid. Looks like 0000-FZ-113E-01 is the part number for the fluid. Do I need 3 quarts? Couldn't find any info on my quick Google search for the capacity.

·
Car Nerd
814 Posts
Bumping up for more info!

I'm at 30k miles in my '13 Mazda and would like to drain/fill the fluid. Looks like 0000-FZ-113E-01 is the part number for the fluid. Do I need 3 quarts? Couldn't find any info on my quick Google search for the capacity.
Are you Skyactiv? I know the non-Skys have about a 3qt capacity and any ATF should work fine. I used Mobil 1.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts