2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just bought a 2016 I Touring Hatchback a couple weeks back with 28k.

I noticed something in the cooler mornings here in Minnesota (50-60 degrees). Once I start it up and start driving, the car goes from 1st to 3rd gear on very light acceleration almost skipping 2nd gear immediately with low revs. I noticed when the engine is cold, the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd but there can be a pause which it seems the revs can hang up at around 2k and then it shifts. I almost would say it revs up slightly (200 rpms) before it shifts. Now if it was slipping, it would be more prone to have this happen when warm rather than cold. Also this doesn't happen all the time but only with a cooler morning. If the sun is shinning and its warmer out, it never happens.

Is this normal behavior? Is the car trying to maximize fuel efficiency or protect the transmission?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I really can't say it's normal or not, except to say I don't notice mine doing that on my '15.

However, I will say that I never know what gear my transmission is in because the shifts are so smooth. Most of the time I can't feel it shifting at all, the only hint of it shifting being the tachometer showing the RPMs change if I happen to be looking at it.

I doubt I would ever notice whether mine skipped second or any other gear because of this smoothness. I'm sure lighter vs heavier throttle positions have an effect on which gear it's in or how long it stays in any given gear, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really can't say it's normal or not, except to say I don't notice mine doing that on my '15.

However, I will say that I never know what gear my transmission is in because the shifts are so smooth. Most of the time I can't feel it shifting at all, the only hint of it shifting being the tachometer showing the RPMs change if I happen to be looking at it.

I doubt I would ever notice whether mine skipped second or any other gear because of this smoothness. I'm sure lighter vs heavier throttle positions have an effect on which gear it's in or how long it stays in any given gear, etc.
Thank you for writting back. It's an extremely smooth transmission. I am super picky on how everything feels. Maybe I need to stop watching the tach and see if I notice it less. Normally I am light pedal when driving. My car is under warranty but not sure how that works. Even a small blip a dealership won't touch it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumping this thread again.

I noticed this is very consistent when cold. Once the cold light goes away, so does the problem.

Has anyone had Mazda update their pcm under warranty and if so, was it covered? Is this just a normal Mazda thing for when its cold that the transmission acts differently by changing the shift points compared to warm?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Its temp related. When really cold outside it doesn't hiccup right away. However, once running for a min or so it happens. Once the cold engine light goes off, it's back to being smooth.

My guess is a flaw in the transmission programming as it is consistent and predicatable. I asked Mazda if they would update pcm if there is an update for free.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mazda said they could look at it but if not deemed a powertrain incident, I will be charged for a diagnostic fee.

Knowing how mechanics work, they will say they cant duplicate the problem.

The work around I have done is lifting my foot off the gas just for a breif moment before it would shift hard. After doing this, its finw there after.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2015 2.0 AT Mazda 3 fwis... From what I've gathered its normal behavior... I've considered a drain fill since its got 80k miles (not a flush) but I'm not sure myself...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a 2015 2.0 AT Mazda 3 fwis... From what I've gathered its normal behavior... I've considered a drain fill since its got 80k miles (not a flush) but I'm not sure myself...
Thanks for replying. Since disconnecting and reconecting the battery, it has improved so much that either ita rare or no existent. My thought is that by it relearning from the factory base settings, it reset it from happening. This car is amazing overall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine does something similar..
2016 2.0 autotragic. @70,000km
Like you said, all good after the first km or 5-10 minutes of driving, only at slow speeds.
Gonna do a preemptive trans drain and fill at the next oil change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine does something similar..
2016 2.0 autotragic. @70,000km
Like you said, all good after the first km or 5-10 minutes of driving, only at slow speeds.
Gonna do a preemptive trans drain and fill at the next oil change.
Id be curious what happens after you change things out. Reset pcm at the same time to force it to relearn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts