2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi any body out there that can give me info about trailer towing.
i know the manual says not to trailer pull.
i hade a 2002 protege 5 manual and i pulled my small boat around with no problems(no big hauling distances,just around my community)i dont see why i cant continue to pull with my 2010 sport.
ive had some say you can pull short distances,but use the manual shift on the automatic.
my boat weighs 1500 lbs on the trailer.
toyota matrix has a 2.4 engine and a automatic with manual shift and they have a accesory tariler hitch and indicate you can pull up to 1500 lbs,why not mazda 3?
i have a feeling its its a liability question rather than a mechanical one.
if you load your car to its maximum 5 adults and lugage you are up to 1100 lbs,so whats the difference if you dont have the adults and luggage,its practicaly the same weight as pulling.
if any one has info on this subject,would appreciate..........billeee

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I only have a little bit of advice to give about trailering a boat with your new 3. I don't think Mazda doesn't advise it for the weight issue, I think it is because there is not a hitch installed from the factory. I'm sure if you had one installed there might be some sort of safety issue, but I've never had an aftermarket hitch installed on a car. I've only trailered with a truck and suv, they are built for that type of driving, the suspension, frame, and body of the 3 may not be. I hope for your sake someone else here might be able to help, but this is my initial reaction to your post!

Sorry I can't help more!

By the way, welcome to M3R!!!

Reactions: billeee

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Most folks use a Curt Hitch (apparently one company actually makes the hitch and it is rebadged for different companies)

Plenty of info at mazdas24/7....search for towing or Curt Hitch.....HTH

Reactions: billeee
1 - 3 of 3 Posts