2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my reliable worn out 2000 Honda Accord LX-V6 Auto with 200,000 miles for $3000. I need a reliable commuting car that gave 40 MPG so over a month ago, so I bought a brand new 2013 Honda Civic LX-Automatic since it have better MPG than the 5-Speed manual. What a mistake. After just a week of owning it, it was horrible. Lots of vibration, harness and just really bad ride quality at 65-70 MPH. The sticker was $19,500 but I paid $17,000. A week later, Honda offered me $15,000 for the Civic in trade in plus additional $6,000 to upgrade to an Accord.

My original choice was the 2014 Mazda 3 but the previous generation ride quality was on the sporty / hard side so never bothered to check out the new 2014. Also at the time when I bought the Civic, the IIHS crash test rating was not out yet. I figured I had nothing to lose to I went and drove the 2014 Mazda 3 with 6-Speed manual. My heart sank and felt like throwing up. I could not believe how nice it rode compared to the Civic. What a mistake. After some negations, the Mazda dealer offered me same $15,000 for my new Civic in trade in plus additional $4000 for the 2014 Mazda 3 i. The only option it had was Fog Lights and the sticker was $20,110. I told the dealer that I will be driving my crappy Civic for a while.

I figured I had nothing to lose so couple of weeks ago, I called the dealer back. I was asked where the dealer needed to be and I said $2,000. After 15 minutes later, I got a call back and my offer was accepted. I told them I will there in few hour and picked it up on the bad winter storm night! At end of the day, I got $17,000 for my Civic which is what I paid for and paid $19,000 ($1,110 less than sticker) for the 2014 Mazda 3. Zoom Zoom!

The ride quality of the Mazda 3 is much much nicer than the civic – little firm but not harsh and smooth over all – kind of like my 2000 Accord LX-V6. I am getting as advertised 40 MPG average on the highway with 33 PSI tire pressure (factory is 36 PSI) for better comfort!

My first Mazda was a brand new 1991 Protégé LX which I never had any issues and I drove it hard. The only thing that concerns me is the VVT issue that the CX7 had! I hope they fixed it in the 2014 Mazda 3 and I hope they use nothing from Ford!

Waid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats, I hope you enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nice choice, I have an identical i-sport hatch except it's black and no fog-lights. Will also be driven 25-30Kish are year. Have 6,500 miles on it already and have been very pleased.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Welcome! You shouldn't have any vvt issues at all. The 2.0 skyactiv motor has been very reliable so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not too crazy about the newer Ford stuff - reliability and quality is not there. The only new Ford I like is the Mustang and old school Fords.

As much as I like my new 2014 Mazda 3 with 6-Speed Manual, it will have hard time keeping up with my pride and joy - weekend car. A 1964 Ford Falcon with 300hp 5.0 with 5-Speed T-5!!! :biggrin:

The engine swap will be done by this summer. Also have a 4.8 & 5.3 LS motors (350hp bone stock) rows of T5 for next project!

Waid

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Awesome you are happy with your purchase! The 3rd gen Mazda 3 is one nice ride....imo the best in its segment compared to the Civic, Corrolla, Forte, Focus, Dart, Cruze, etc.

I know the feeling of buying a car and regretting it...its poop. All good now, welcome to the family.

P.S. I do like the new Civics personally....from the design to ride and everything in between. From time to time I drive my sister's 07....compared to my 3 the Civic doesn't ride as sporty...specifically the suspension dampening.
I test drove a 2013 Civic Si and thought it was pretty good. But with the asking price of the current Si Civics I would just go FRS, and its rear wheel drive.

Honduh....Mazduh....as long as your happy with the car thats what matters.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
Glad you found a car that suits you and you enjoy driving!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, you see, you got a nice car that u can enjoy your daily drive, and save some money for the fun weekends.

I had a 93 300zx, it was fun and everything, but a 2 saeter was becoming a problem. In my book, the car had to be rwd and 300+ hp. I was looking at g37 sedans so it had all the sprits of the Z, plus the rear seats. I was just about coming to a deal on a 2010 with low miles, when I step out of dealer for a smoke and saw the Mazda on the next lot. I was just going to look at the inside, but ended up buying a Mazda 3. On daily drives, the 2.5 is just as good and almost spacious as G37, and a lot cheaper on gas. Currently I am trying to find an e46 bmw 330 for my track days and weekend evilness. I will pay a lot more than a g37, however on weekends I will have a lot more fun, because I am not messing around in my daily car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found it. Bought it brand new - 1991 Mazda Protégé (Auto) - now called the 3. Ran the crap out of it and never had a single problem. Bought it for $12,500 and sold it for $4000 with 120,000 miles on it. Some of you may not have been born yet!

Waid

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tought these were 323 , the next genration became Protege?!? My cousin had the hatch, and I did drove them. Nice underestimated cars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just to clarify the 2.3T that was the black eye of Mazda engines was NOT a Ford product. The long running Ford relationship had Mazda engineering the 4 bangers with Ford making slight tweaks before dropping in their products and vice versa with the V6. Name me any Ford turbo 4 banger that was around when the CX-7/Speed 3/6 were around. :) The 4 banger Ford Duratec line is mostly Mazda work, not sure if the Ecoboost are derivatives or not.

I would not worry about engine issues one bit. Stick to recommended maintenance and recommended oils (Synthetic 0W-20) and you will be fine for quite some time. Set a schedule for PS/Brake/trans fluid changes as Mazda does not specifically call them out in the manual.

The NA MZR 2.0/2.3/2.5 were largely problem free excepting a few small batch issues (timing chain, VVT, etc.). The Sky has proven itself in the 2nd gen MZ3 since 2012.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adam,

Was the Timing Chain & VVT issues tied to 2.3 Turbo motors only?

As you can see by my post, I have no problem rebuilding motors - as long as the motor is not completely blown up. If it comes down to it, I can replace the timing chain myself right after the factory warranty expires. For me, that would in two years! Have repalced clutch in FWD cars too. Biggest pain was pulling out the automatic transmission in my 2000 Accord to replaced a leakly $2 O-Rings - very common on Accords & Odysseys.

Waid

·
Registered
590 Posts
Honda customer service is very unfriendly. Mazda was very eager to make me happy, and call me back with my concern. I had a major problem with my Honda, and they said in so many words....tough luck...

Congrates, I have the same color and love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Honda Accords & Odyssey have a lot off Automatic Transmission failures. Worse than CX-7 engine problems!

My 2000 Accord LX-V6 made it to 200,000 miles on original tranny because I added a Earl's Racing ATF cooler along with Red Line Synthetic ATF. Most fail below 100,000 miles. Did not use Honda ATF. My 2003 Odyssey also has same ATF cooler along with Red Line ATF. Makes the car & van shift little bit harder due to less friction modifiers. RedLine ATF works! I would put RedLine ATF in any car!

Will switch to Red Line gear oil on the Mazda 3 as well.

It is interesting that the old Accords and Odysseya did not make the Yahoo's "A car dealer’s scientific guide to the 10 worst used vehicles" list:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...c-guide-10-worst-used-vehicles-222709616.html

Waid

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts