2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 iTouring with about 1700 miles on it. I like the car but really regret not getting the tech package options... I can't stand the stock stereo etc. I have also had issues with this car with water leaking through the rear window which the dealer had to replace.

So how much would I lose trading this in and getting a 2015 with the technology package? (nav, moonroof etc.. all things I wish I got in the first place.) Anyone do anything similar? The problems with this car is kinda helping me along to seriously considering doing this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't give you specific numbers but you will lose a lot of money. The odds are always in favor of the house. The only way to be sure is go down to your dealer and see what sort of numbers they give you. You might go to Carmax first to see what they offer for the car. Then you can make sure the dealer allows at least that much. If they offer less you get them to come up. If they offer more you presume they are making at least a decent offer. Then you'll have to decide if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had issues with my car and considered trading it in for a 2015 sTouring manual. I'm trying to be patient until another manufacturer has something that can compete with the efficiency of the Mazda3 in a manual transmission. I have a bad rattle from the passenger side every time I make right turns or take highway ramps to the rights or just right turns in general. Whenever I consider trading it in for a 2015 model, I remember that it is still a Mazda and there is no guarantee that I won't have similar issues with it. Plus the dealers in my area have been a nightmare.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You will lose quite a bit of money because the 1st year of depreciation on any car is always the steepest. However, if you really plan to keep the car a long time, it may be worth it, even if you'll prob be out 10k$ between depreciation and the add'l cost of a new, higher-optioned car.

This is why I always recommend getting the car you want the first time (even if it means waiting or ordering) because it's a big ticket purchase and buyer's remorse can ruin the ownership experience. But I don't think most folks in North America understand this or listen to me.......

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 2014 iTouring with about 1700 miles on it. I like the car but really regret not getting the tech package options... I can't stand the stock stereo etc. I have also had issues with this car with water leaking through the rear window which the dealer had to replace.

So how much would I lose trading this in and getting a 2015 with the technology package? (nav, moonroof etc.. all things I wish I got in the first place.) Anyone do anything similar? The problems with this car is kinda helping me along to seriously considering doing this.
Only 1700 miles? How long have you had the car or have you made any payments on it yet? If not, the dealer may be willing to take it back and sell you the car you want. You'd have to talk to the sales manager and see. No guarantees, but it's well worth a call or dropping by to see them.

If you trade it in, you'll likely lose 4,000-6,000. When I was having some issues with the dealer I purchased from, another dealer offered a good deal on the car, but said i'd lose about 4500 on the trade. This was when it was brand new with only 50miles on it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Remember, when you've driven off the lot, that car has already counted as a sale on someone's commission book. If you try to go back after 30 days you are really basically dealing with an entirely different dealer. Occasionally you might get lucky. But I'd focus on the problems of your car and then use that to trade it up for what you want and pay the difference and don't be surprised if you don't get much negotiating power on the price of the better model. Youll likely be paying the MSRP.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What is with so many people not being happy with the stock stereo? I think it sounds great for not being anything special. The treble is clear and the bass is plenty strong enough; they balance each other out really well.

Whatever.

Anyways. I regretted getting the i Sport and wanted to trade it in for the i Touring and I was going to lose between 4 and 6 thousand buckaroos according to the numbers that my sales person gave me. It isn't worth it to be honest.

I've had to convince myself that the i Touring doesn't add that much additional stuff but it does and ugh. But whatever. The most important thing is that the car drives great and has great fuel mileage. If all I was able to afford was the i SV then I'd still be happy because it is still a 14/15 Mazda 3.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Carmax first to get an idea. They will give you an offer letter that is good for 7 days. Usually Carmax will pay you more than what the dealer will. I was about to sell my BMW when I bought the Mazda, but the dealer decided to match the offer and I sold to the dealer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If this is a long term car for you, then it could be worth the loss you'll take to get what you want.
I traded in my '14 s Gt for a '15 model because I wanted the 6mt. Sure it cost me, but I'm glad
I did it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cjbigcog, How much do you estimate you lost on the deal? Not factoring in the more expensive new car, just loss on trading in the 14? Just curious was it worth it to you?

Yes I plan to keep this car 10 years... so long term..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've traded a couple new cars in after 4-6 months of ownership, unfortunately. Each time I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 4K (my buy price minus the trade in price).

I just purchased the iTouring with the tech package last weekend. I'd say fix the car you have. The only thing I wanted in the tech package was the Bose stereo and I'd say for the loss you will take on your trade, there's no way it's worth it. The Bose sounds great sitting still, on the dealer lot -- but in reality, moving driving down the road, it only sounds a bit better than average. You could certainly build a very nice system for way less than what you would lose on your trade in.

As for the rest of the tech package: A sun roof is nice, but doesn't nothing for me. And the automatic climate control interface is a horrible design -- I'd rather have old school knobs/buttons. Plus, who really needs dual zone climate control in a car this size? It seems ridiculous to me.

So, I'd say save your money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If its only about 4k it would be worth it to me with all the issues I am having with this car.
I really want the nav system / satellite radio / bose speakers and moonroof. I plan to keep this car a long time..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Financially it probably doesn't make sense, but sometimes there's more value to your sanity than having a heavier wallet. I would get some numbers and figure out if it's worth it to you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Bose system ain't all that. Sounds cool at a standstill as mentioned previously, but there's so much road noise while driving anyway that it isn't a huge deal......plus it's not that great a system to be honest.

I also think the Germans do better sat nav systems (or to be specific, Harman Becker or whoever supplies the iDrive for BMWs) and nav is the least used feature in my vehicle, partly because I don't trust the guidance. Plus the inabililty to do a lot of key functions while driving further reduces its utility value although I know this can be coded out. But perhaps you frequently use navigation.....

But it is your car, and if you feel your current car's a "monday car" (aka a dud) then perhaps it is worth it to you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
can't say I use the nav much... and when I do, I often rely on my Android phone. But I do like the big screen for displaying music tracks on my usb drive. I'm not impressed with the bose sound either as it has terrible stereo separation and sound staging. But I would still dish out extra cash for the tech package if I were to start over because I like the blind spot monitoring system and automatic climate control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps my experience may be of some value to you in making a decision. As an older driver with diminished night vision, but still someone who enjoys a manual transmission, I traded my 2014 3i GT 6MT with 8,400 miles for a 2015 3s GT 6MT, which has bi-xenons with AFS as standard equipment. The 2015 difference in MSRP is $2,300.

Of the $8,125 that I paid to a Florida Mazda dealer, approximately $800 was for sales tax, title transfer, registration, and advance disposal battery and tire fees, all of which go to the state of Florida or my home county. The balance of $7,425 means that in addition to the $2,300 MSRP difference between the 3i and the 3s, the deal cost me $5,125 plus what the state and county collected.

The new car completely solves my night vision problems, and I am very satisfied with it. Except for its lack of a power passenger seat and a luxury nameplate, it seems to have the equipment, power, and quality of an entry level luxury car. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you considered purchasing another new '14 with the tech package instead of a '15?

With the new '15s arriving weekly, the dealers will discount the '14s more each month and give you a much better deal on their remaining inventory and as such, your out of pocket costs should be much smaller. Also after 10 years, there will be little value difference between a '14 and '15.

Personally, I'm trying to decide whether to cash purchase a '14 or '15 automatic sGT hatch with the tech package since I will not buy again for another 10 years too. The problem I'm having though is finding the minor differences between the two (major is easy) and whether the ticking TSB continues in the '15s. Constant road noise I can handle, rattles and ticks, my OCD cannot!

Go to the Mazda site, enter your zip code, build the car you want. After your first seach results appear, you'll see at the very bottom "Search More Dealers". Expand the radius to 200-250 miles and search again. Then at the top right, click the pull-down for vehicles. The list still includes dealer inventory of 2014 models. Then, email a few dealers' internet sales department and see what kind of trade/purchase deal they'll offer. You might have to drive 500 miles roundtrip but you might just save a couple of thousand.

Just my 3 cents.

·
Registered
287 Posts
cjbigcog, How much do you estimate you lost on the deal? Not factoring in the more expensive new car, just loss on trading in the 14? Just curious was it worth it to you?

Yes I plan to keep this car 10 years... so long term..
Around $3500 plus tax/license fees. Totally worth it. My monthly payment is higher, but I can live with it. With the automatic in the '14, I didn't feel the car was a keeper. Now with the 6mt
it's a keeper for sure. :001_smile:

·
Registered
97 Posts
The most important thing is that the car drives great and has great fuel mileage. If all I was able to afford was the i SV then I'd still be happy because it is still a 14/15 Mazda 3.
I'm super happy with my iSV so far. The only problem I see with the 3 is that the upgrade prices aren't in line with actual value. The larger motor/wheel/tire combo price is reasonable but is held hostage by a package price, and in the 2014 version by a $1K charge for automatic transmission. An iSV with motor/wheel/tire upgrade for less than $20k out the door would have been a bang for buck champion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
With only $4k more, you can get 15' iGT or sGT! I think I would get it for long term. Here are some break down of the options and the estimated cost. GL

Nav sys $800
Satellite radio $200
Bose $500
Moonroof $1k
Leather seats $1k
Heated seats $300
18’ wheels $400
HID headlight $1k

1 - 20 of 23 Posts