2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have tracked my m3 on many occasions.
today the traction control wont turn off.
the light come on but on track i can tell its still on.
of course the first session i forgot to turn off (just like first time i ever tracked it...) and hit the button while on track.
i could tell it was still on but this method worked before. next session i disabled just after starting while parked. still no joy on track...
suggestions? m3.jpg

·
Banned
842 Posts
Is there a question in there somewhere???

Oh wait now I see it..
Quick FIX...maybe?
In this order if you can not do it as I suggested DONT DO IT!!!
Scan the Diagnostic connector for DTCs? Make NOTE of any and clear.
Pull the fuse/relay controlling the Track and then turn key to ON (all lights on dash will illuminate) but DO NOT START ENGINE.
Turn off key replace fuse/relay and then and only then start engine.
Turn off engine.
Re check Diagnostic connector for any DTCs and make NOTE of any and clear.
Restart engine should take care of it unless you have more issues to which case more diagnostics will be required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, thought the question was obvious. looking for some suggestions to make the "disable" feature be restored.
the car is not able to be driven at a high speed driving event with traction control enabled. it has been "turned off" before but today that feature does not work. as i said, i have driven the car before and the feature worked. it is a great daily drive assist, but it is way to intrusive to be driven at a motorsports racing circuit with a skilled driver.

·
Banned
842 Posts
it is a great daily drive assist, but it is way to intrusive to be driven at a motorsports racing circuit with a skilled driver.
Boy you are NOT kidding. Laguna Seca now called Mazda Raceway I forgot to turn mine off and went very fast into a turn I know how to set the car up for and the CAR said "NFW are you taking me that fast through that turn".... :laugh2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks! to follow your suggestion to the letter i will have to wait until i get home to properly follow through. i am an instructor for porsche and dont "usually" track the m3 but it is very capable. i chose it to travel out of town this time to run an event instead of my 911 (964..) or my 66 shelby mustang.

·
Banned
842 Posts
thanks! to follow your suggestion to the letter i will have to wait until i get home to properly follow through. i am an instructor for porsche and dont "usually" track the m3 but it is very capable. i chose it to travel out of town this time to run an event instead of my 911 (964..) or my 66 shelby mustang.
A pig (completely stock car)as well a over suspension modified car in the hands of a less experienced driver is always special...to watch,(snicker) in the hands of someone experienced or an instructor it is ART in motion!
Welcome to the forum again.

I learned years ago to to be Fast consistently on a ROAD Track you must have someone of experience help you improve what is good, support the natural abilities and let them grow and for some teach them to stay out of better faster drivers way! I have invested several time taking many Road Track lessons over the years which I can say have improved my lap times and made me a better driver on the street. i.e Bondurant Racing School and Skip Barber. I have also taken security defensive driving for a side business I once did.

·
Registered
110 Posts
To fully disable traction control you have to physically flip the TCU upside down. Sure, your dashboard will light up like a christmas tree, but you'll have no nannies onboard.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,066 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
really such a bad idea....even they really dont want anyone doing it! It is in bold and RED.

DISCLAIMER: This modification is for racing purposes ONLY. Doing so will render many of your car’s safety systems ineffective. Installing other safety systems after this modification is essential.

I also want to point out those posting the information also say this which is very important when people post this information on a forum like this. READ..

A BIG WORD OF CAUTION: THE COMPUTER WHICH CONTROLS THE NANNIES ALSO RUNS THE AIRBAGS. IF YOU RACE YOUR CAR ON THE TRACK, THE AIRBAGS WILL HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM YOUR CAR ALREADY. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR AIRBAG-EQUIPPED CAR WITH THE MODULE FLIPPED OVER.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yeah, definitely not doing that.

It really makes me want to test drive their race car though.

I tried pushing the car on Mulholland Hwy yesterday, and even with traction control off, the car wasn't okay with how fast I took a few of the turns.
CK
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5jfR6Hwrhg

·
Banned
842 Posts
Yeah, definitely not doing that.

It really makes me want to test drive their race car though.

I tried pushing the car on Mulholland Hwy yesterday, and even with traction control off, the car wasn't okay with how fast I took a few of the turns.
CK
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5jfR6Hwrhg
This means that you need to invest in driving lesson. I realize that many think "I CAN DRIVE MY CAR LIKE A RACE CAR DRIVER" but we can't without lots of practice or to get lessons.

Making fun of and not insulting you but dude......
:Racing 1:Your video shows a lot that needs worked on ...by you.(driving technique) STOP upgrading your suspension its not really working well for you! At this time..:laugh2:

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Traction Control at 130 Kph going around curves slows the car to 125 kph. Its even on in city driving, but turning it off - steering / control is a bit loose.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That's a motorcycle driving the same section of road I went through... I wanted to give you an idea of the ride.

Elevated roads with crazy tight turns...

I had a blast and my car handled it like a champ.
CK

Reactions: Kiyoskia

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Oh.. and good luck keeping up with my ride on that section of road.

I can run the toughest section now at crazy speeds I never would have attempted with my stock suspension.

Your front strut tower bar ain't gonna be enough for this road...
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
CK
A question here-
Did you notice if the TCS function still defaults to on if you push the car to its limits even if you turn it off? Some reports indicate you can't really turn the Mazda system completely off. :smile2: I know for sure that this is the case with the MX-5 ND.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The traction off light stayed illuminated the whole ride.

The RPMs would drop if my front wheels started to spin as I was pulling through the turn though and I had to back it off a bit.

I was really impressed with how the car handled it though.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
The traction off light stayed illuminated the whole ride.

The RPMs would drop if my front wheels started to spin as I was pulling through the turn though and I had to back it off a bit.

I was really impressed with how the car handled it though.
CK
Yeah, thought so. Apparently "OFF" is only off when the car decides you don't need it. I have seen the same thing happen on several occasions on dry, wet and snowy roads.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is there a way to put the car in a diagnostic mode? My BRZ track car has a sequence of pedal presses that puts the car in a diagnostic mode which conpletely turns off the traction and stability control. One company actually makes an OBD plug in that will disable it for you without having to do the pedal pressing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts