2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the last problem I have that I'd like to fix is the traction control system. So when I'm driving, the traction control light comes on and stays on until I turn off the car. I'm not sure why but it seems to come on faster when it's hot outside, which is almost all year here in Texas. Im curious what could be causing this or if there are any relatively easy fixes that wont cost a fortune. The dealership told me it would cost $500 for them to figure out what the problem is, and then they'll add however much it costs to repair it. Forget that.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. Might just pull the dash off and cut the leads to that particular light so I don't have to see it all the time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just ignore it for now until someone finds a solution to it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ok, so the last problem I have that I'd like to fix is the traction control system. So when I'm driving, the traction control light comes on and stays on until I turn off the car. I'm not sure why but it seems to come on faster when it's hot outside, which is almost all year here in Texas. Im curious what could be causing this or if there are any relatively easy fixes that wont cost a fortune. The dealership told me it would cost $500 for them to figure out what the problem is, and then they'll add however much it costs to repair it. Forget that.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?
Try to remove all the ABS sensors and wipe them off with a clean rag or cloth and re-install. You will need to drive a few miles and the light MAY go off, if it doesn't take it to the dealer. Good luck. The ABS SENSORS ARE BEHIND THE WHEELS.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Try to remove all the ABS sensors and wipe them off with a clean rag or cloth and re-install. You will need to drive a few miles and the light MAY go off, if it doesn't take it to the dealer. Good luck. The ABS SENSORS ARE BEHIND THE WHEELS.
This. Dont let the stealership charge you to dp this. It costs about $40 per sensor and its just a matter of plugging it in. I had to replace mine. If you've had your springs changed there is an increased chance that it might be damaged. Or might just need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is there just one ABS sensor per wheel? Stupid question but I'm rather new to this working on my car thing.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yes. Basicallyit is a litle probe that goes into the brake assembly. It is held on by a small bolt. The probe and its wire run into a connector in th e engine bay. Its plug and play. The wire connected to the underbody by plastic fastners. For some reason if a fastener is undone it is possible for the wire to rub the axle and short out. Check behing your wheel for a hanging wire. When I am not on my phone ill post pics from mine when I replaced it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! Pics would help a lot as I'm a visual learner.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
ABS sensor wire (CX-5) everything in between the two ends are clips. One end is a 2 prong connector (engine bay side) and one end is a probe (brake side) with a little bolt slot to hold it in..

probe removed (it can become extremely dirty/covered in corrosion which may hinder its readings) Any fault from one of your four will trigger the light.

o
Mine was frayed because the guy who installed my coils broke the plastic tabs instead of taking the time to pry them out (without breaking them). Eventually it either just fell aloose, or it was always a loose and over time wore down from the axle contact and shorted.

You should remove the wheel to access it. Before you bother with that, I would take a look and see if your wire is handing (and possibly rubbed the axle). If no, check your fuses. Then it doesn't hurt to clean them off. Cleaning them will involve simply removing the wheel and the (8mm?) bolt that holds the probe into the brake assembly. Clean it with a damp cloth. If problem persists, call around and see what dealers charge for diag.. $500 is ridiculous.

I would suggest downloading a pdf of the SVC manual for your car. Mine is available on the CX-5 forum, maybe a m3r member can point you at a copy for your 3. The svc manual is useful because you can use it obviously to see how to do something, but also to determine if you want to do it yourself or let the dealer do it (plus it gives you torque specs on bolts and such).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much. I'll track down the pdf manual for my car. Great idea!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't pulled the wheels off of my car yet, still need to go get new jack stands. I found a pdf manual and have read through it some but haven't attempted the fix the light problem yet. I'm guessing that is the problem tho as it didn't start until about a year or so after I got the car. Which of course the dealer told me wasn't covered by warranty. I think the dealership here just tries to screw people since it's the only Mazda dealership within 100 miles in any direction...:cursing 1::argh 1:

·
Registered
817 Posts
i wish there was a way to dissable the traction control its useless in snow i drive with it off most of the time
If you drive spirited or aggressive you don't want to take off the traction control cause that "traction control" can save your ass if you push the limits and start sliding. It's there for a very good reason...your safety. plus the way insurance companies operate, if you got into a accident they can authorize and get the data from your B.C.M & power-train control module and you might open a can of snakes not worms from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts