2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd thing, yesterday the traction control light came on and stayed on for about 20 minutes. I was pulling out of a parking lot.
It went off and hasn't come back on-any ideas why this would happen? Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
It could be a lot of things Steve...as long as it is off now and doesn't come back on you should be ok but if it does, take it to the dealer OR just check your ABS sensors at every wheel for any debris or garbage. You need to let people know what you are driving my friend.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry-it's a 2013 mazda 3 skyactive
I took it to discount tire and had them do my free tire rotation and balance just in case it had something to do with the tires.
Guess I'll wait and see if it comes back

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I had that happen to me once except it came on for like 5 seconds while cruising down the highway at 60mph.

Its never happened again so I'm guessing it was just some electronic hiccup

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had that happen to me once except it came on for like 5 seconds while cruising down the highway at 60mph.

Its never happened again so I'm guessing it was just some electronic hiccup
I've had that happen a couple of times. It happened this morning while I was driving to work. Cruising down a dry back road about 45mph - it was not quite sunrise so the headlights were on and the NAV screen was in "dark mode." All of a sudden the NAV screen switches to daytime mode for a second at the same time the traction control light comes on. Scared me for a second.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Either electrical or ABS wheel sensor issue. Most likely electrical if you did not smell burning brake after 20 minutes of driving because the traction control will literally apply brakie to the wheel it thinks is "spinning"

I think the light also comes on if there is some code stored related to traction control (aka DSC )

If no code, then I would try to check the connection on the DSC HU/CM (don't know the exact acronym but guessing it's Dynamic Stability Control Hub Unit/Control Module). It's the square knobby thingy where the brake lines go under the hood. There should be an electrical connector. Disconnect negative battery first, pull the connector, clean it, check for any corrosion, reattach, and re-connect the battery.

If you are DIY'er, grab a manual, and check the connection voltages and open/short circuits yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts