2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 2.0l with the automatic transmission. Since its my wife and i's car manual was off the table. But i have been interested to go back to my local track to have some fun. Is the a/t strong enough to survive a few track days a year does it need better oil/additiv. Keeping in mind its my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Honestly the best thing you can do is add a cooler into the outlet if you're worried. It's heat that kills transmissions.

Stick with the recommend fluid, if you use what it's designed for you know that there won't be any unforeseen problems. Generally additives are snake oil and can even be harmful.

The cooler is easy to install. Identify transmission outlet and find a suitable location to mount it (hint airflow is good). Cut the hose and install a male to male barbed fitting. Clamp it. Add your own hose as necessary to plum it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've tracked mine once. It was a great time and it really enhanced my opinion of the car. I think you should be ok, though I will say that mine has 46,000 miles and the transmission performance has degraded some, its not a crisp (especially cold) and there seems to be a bit more flare in the torque converter before locking out. Overall I think this transmission may not survive for 200,000 miles... I'm not convinced that was from the ONE time i tracked it, I think its hard to build a traditional a/t that maintains its performance over its lifetime.

Also a word of caution, I ended up warping the front rotors on my track day, I believe I overheated the pads and got an uneven buildup of pad material on the rotor. I had read this happened to another owner when he tracked the car as well. In my case, I dont think I took my cool down laps slowly enough, and failed to cool them down before returning to the paddock... To fix them I simply had the rotors resurfaced and that fixed the problem (though i did the rears and pads first thinking it was the rears that I'd screweed up.

Go out there and track the car, its handling at the limits will impress you, just take your cool down laps slowly :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts