2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on getting the track/artist info (and if possible, artwork) working reliably. It works in some cases (with certain audio sources) but not always, and in the case of CDs, not at all (see below). The car is a 2015 Mazda3 i GT, I'm running infotainment system version 33 and just upgraded Gracenote to version 4. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s4 running Android 4.4.2.

Here's what I am seeing:

CDs - no track or artist info (or artwork) AT ALL for any CD. This is not just home-burned CDs, but also store-bought CDs, and I've tried a bunch of them. There is no info display with ANY CD. This is the biggest issue I have - most of the following ones I can live with - it would be nice to have them all working as expected, but not such a big deal. But it sucks to have no track info for any CDs.

USB - track and artist display correctly, as far as I can tell. Album artwork initially displayed correctly, when I first loaded the USB drive and just paged through the tracks on the drive in order, by hitting the 'next track' button. But if I go to the root list and select by artist or by album, the artwork no longer displays - instead I get a generic graphic showing a set of headphones and the label 'Other'. (Track and artist info still seem to display correctly.)

Bluetooth - track and artist display, but no artwork at all.

Some of this may be simply the way the system works - but I am sure I should be getting some kind of display for CDs, at least. I know that I can upgrade to system version 33, and I have the files and info to do that - but I'm not sure if it's likely to help? Also, I'm concerned that this is a brand new car, and am I likely to get grief from the dealer down the road if I update the software myself - that I voided the warranty on the infotainment system, or something?

All suggestions are very welcome!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
For CDs, I know my newer CDs (purchased the last few years) display the title/song/artist information, and I can select the track listing based on title name. The CDs I bought like, 10 years ago don't have that info stored on them but like I said, newer ones should work.

I have v.31 Firmware.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In my experinece older CDs don't display info and some newer ones do. I think it has to do with the disc encoding. And it's purely a function of the system reading the data off the disc itself and it has nothing to do with the Gracenote database. My wife's 2009 Mazda 6 has an older Bose system (yet better sounding... go figure) with no Gracenote database and it reads the same discs my 3sGT does.

As far as Bluetooth goes it depends on the program. The Pandora app gives you song/artist/album data and the album art. It's probably designed to receive it since the app is built into the system and you get a lot of functionality. All of the other apps I use (Slacker, Google Play, Spotify, iRadioPhilly, etc.) give the song/artist/album data but no album art as they just run off the Bluetooth connection itself.

XM doesn't give you the album art either. It's likely not sent in XM's overly compressed signal (it can't even send full song titles).

So in the end the full Gracenote functionality really applies just to the USB system and likely only to music played from your standard stored files/folders in whatever you're using to bring the music to the car (iPod, USB stick, etc.).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, good to know. Any idea though why I get the album art for songs on the USB drive sometimes, but only the 'generic' art at other times? It's the same files on the drive in each case, just accessing them in a different way (in the first case using prev/next buttons to step through all the songs on the drive, in the second case choosing a specific album to play).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts