2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

TPS + SCBS + TCS

Tags
scbs tcs tps
8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RalphVa 
#1 ·
2015 UK Mazda 3. I am getting three warning lights several minutes into my journey, about twice a week. They are the Tyre Pressure warning light, the Smart City Braking System and the Anti-skid.
If I stop the car and switch off, immediately restart they have all cleared. I took it to the dealer (under warranty) and he said "It could be the tyre pressure system having a glitch" so I pointed out that that does not clear until reset. And that I had reset the system twice already so he booked it in. When I got it back I was told it was just first trip of the day when the sun is low and the screen is wet it upsets the sensor.
Well its still happening with a dry screen and no condensation on the inside or outside.
Also I have had the car for 2.5 years and it never happened before so why now?
Please has anyone any experience of this problem?

#2 ·
I've never had all 3 lights on at once. The SCBS light once came on at dawn driving into the sun which I put down to a dirty windscreen. The TPMS warning once came on in very wet weather. The pressures were fine and I concluded the light was triggered by minor aqua planning causing a difference in wheel rotations. Modern cars are getting too difficult to diagnose. I don't know how technicians will cope when driverless cars having complex sensors and software arrive!

#3 ·
Look for the simple fixes first before getting too crazy...I think we all forget and want to tear systems apart first. Reset the infotainment system and/or do a complete reset of the car and go thru the battery disconnect process. Just clearing the static memory like you should do with your computer on occasion by removing the battery and pressing the power button may clear out the bad memory/processes.

#5 ·
Thank you for reminding me, very good advice and I would recommend it to everybody.
So last night I disconnected my battery for 10 minutes and pressed the start button, switched on the lights etc. Reconnected the battery said the required prayers and this morning I still have the same problem.
Today the windscreen was dry, no internal condensation, no warning on start, drove 3 miles and parked (engine running) while my wife went into a shop for 2 minutes, pulled away and after I had negotiated a road junction the warning were on! At the time I was facing away from the rising sun so I think that's another possibility dismissed.

#4 ·
Cannot comment except on TPMS. I had to inflate my tires back up to about 10% above the specified pressure to keep the TPMS from going off.

Had no problem for about 20k miles until I dropped the tires pressures to very close to what is specified on the thing inside the door sill. Then TPMS kept going off. Reset. Would go off again until I reinflated tires to 10% above the specified 36 psi, e.g. at about 40 psi. Before, I ran them at 40-43 psi.

Ralph

#6 ·
After numerous occasions of just the 3 amber warnings, TPMS, SCBS and DSC I started to get an engine check light. Using my OBD2 reader I got the code P2118: "Throttle Actuator Control Motor Current outside limits". I cleared it and it came back a couple of days later. I delayed taking it the garage as this was two days before I was travelling by ferry to Spain. I felt it would allow me to take it to a different dealer. I did check it would still be covered by the warranty. On arriving in Spain I contacted Mazda breakdown, explaining I was on holiday and had the engine management light on, they booked it into a dealer in Granada, who diagnosed "the body that houses the butterfly" OK so his English was better than my spanish. Being a 2.2 diesel I was confused that it had something that sounded like a petrol carburetor, but on looking it up there is one.
After over a month, I have had no further warnings.

With hindsight 4 or 5 months before the warning lights there was another symptom, some mornings on starting the car the revs would sit at 1500 to 1800
for 3 or 4 seconds compared to my normal 1100 to 1200 like having the choke on. I mentioned it to the dealer but he launched into explaining that the car could do this to heat the catalytic converter etc etc. I tried to explain that I have driven for 50 years and owned this car for two years and this was not normal... but gave up and just walked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.