2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in cold country Canada and last Saturday I installed steel rims and Michelin Xi3 winter tires on my 2018 Mazda3 Sport GS. Today - five whole days later - I was driving home from work and all of a sudden I heard a beep beep beep sound and the TPMS lamp lit up. The summer tires with the sensors have been in my garage since last Saturday. I was expecting the lamp to light up as soon as the tires were changed. Anyone know what might be happening?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not sure of your concern? Did you press the TPMS reset button on the dash after changing the tires? It is also suppose to be pressed when tire pressure is changed. Not a bad idea to press if there is a big change in temperature. The system is Indirect vs. Direct. There are no sensors in the wheels or tires but inflation is based on rotation speed sent to the car's computer. Smaller/larger/overinflated/underinflated tires will spin at different speeds. There is a lot of info on the internet on the physics of it all. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The system is known to go off on false positives as I have experienced 2 or 3 times. It's not without flaws but much better than indirects were years ago in my 20K miles. I understand you thought the system should have gone off sooner but again, it's not a perfect system.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Its all explained in your owners manual, starting at section 4-146. Read the cautions carefully and follow the initialization instructions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I have spent many years working in technical support and it amuses me to know that all I needed to do was Read The Fine Manual :) Thanks again!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a false positive a few months ago in very wet weather which I guess was due to minor aquaplaning causing a difference in the measurement of wheel rotations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts