2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so forgive me if this is a beat to death topic but upon a quick search I cant find the answer I seek. I own a 2018 Mazda 3 GT hatchback, fully loaded. I've been on factory 18" Rims and the dunlop sp 5000's since the day I purchased it new. I recently ordered new tires, finally, that get delivered Monday 4-27-20 (215/45R18 Falken Ziex ZE960's) and I was considering having them mounted on a set of 18" Konig wheels (7.5j x 18 ET45). My only question is, it's my understanding the car uses an indirect type of TPMS sensor in conjunction with the abs system to detect tire pressure loss and trip the little light on the dash. Is that or rather is there something I need to have installed specifically on the Konig wheel to make it function properly or is it a complete standalone system on the brakes? I apologize, I'm typically fairly mechanically competent as I've completely built my '04 3i among other vehicles but I bought this one as a daily driver brand new and I've literally only ever changed the oil, air filters and wiper blades on it. Other than that it's bone stock and was under warranty for most of its life to date so I've never really dug into it hoping not to get that itch. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
The indirect system uses the ABS sensors to detect changes in rotational speed caused by differences in air pressure. There are no sensors in the wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The indirect system uses the ABS sensors to detect changes in rotational speed caused by differences in air pressure. There are no sensors in the wheels.
Appreciate the quick response, thank you! I was actually coming to that conclusion after reading a thread from 2015 just now but it's definitely a peace of mind knowing for sure so once again thank you

·
Registered
667 Posts
The Mazda 3 measures the differential rotation between wheels using the ABS sensors as mentioned. Note you might get a tyre pressure warning light if you drive on gravel or there is minor aquaplaning on a wet road due to wheel slip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
arathol is right, the TPMS system your vehicle utilizes, functions through the wheel speed sensors used by the anti-lock brake system. Here's a good explanation of both indirect and direct systems.

TPMS Facts| Discount Tire
n indirect TPMS estimates an underinflated tire through wheel speed sensors used by the anti-lock brake system. These sensors measure the rotational speeds of each tire. They can detect when one tire rotates faster than the others, which means the faster tire is low on pressure.
Seems like the low pressure tire would be the slower tire as there is more tread contact on the pavement thereby more drag.

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Seems like the low pressure tire would be the slower tire as there is more tread contact on the pavement thereby more drag.
Two tires of the same size will have the same diameter and rotate at the same rpm at any given vehicle speed when inflated to the same pressure. If one of those tires was at a lower pressure than the other, the diameter would decrease and the rotational speed would be higher compared to the other tire at any given speed. For instance, a tire that is 25" in diameter will turn at 833 revolutions / mile. Lower the pressure and decrease the diameter to 24.3" and that same tire is now turning at 858 revolutions / mile. This difference is what the sensors detect, and once the difference reaches the preset threshold the light comes on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts