2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my wheels powdercoated and I have to buy new valve stems since the last ones apparently broke. Whenever I was looking for new ones to purchase I had forgotten about the TPMS sensors. So I called the guy that powdercoated my wheel and he said that there were none when he removed the valve stems. Does a 2014 mazda3 sGT come with sensors? If he was right and there were none then why did I never have the low tire pressure light on in my car? I am a bit confused on this.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
There are no TPMS sensors in the wheels.

Mazda uses the ABS system to calculate if a wheel is spinning slower than the others and then the error light will trigger.

A member reported yesterday, that one of his wheels was down about 5 lbs of pressure and it triggered his warning light. He had a nail in the tire.
CK

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yep, I'm the guy with the screwed tire (it really was a screw :) .

I was favorably impressed that the TPMS system caught the difference of tire revolutions between the one afflicted tire and the other three healthy ones, separated only by about five pounds of air differential. It caught the problem early enough to allow me to find a safe and convenient place to pull off the 70 MPH Interstate I was travelling on. I surely appreciated that.

The Mazda system is simple, but it works. And for situations like the OPs, it's a lot easier and cheaper when dealing with changing and / or modifying wheels and tires. And there are no batteries to change as time goes on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no TPMS sensors in the wheels.

Mazda uses the ABS system to calculate if a wheel is spinning slower than the others and then the error light will trigger.

A member reported yesterday, that one of his wheels was down about 5 lbs of pressure and it triggered his warning light. He had a nail in the tire.
CK
Yep, I'm the guy with the screwed tire (it really was a screw :) .

I was favorably impressed that the TPMS system caught the difference of tire revolutions between the one afflicted tire and the other three healthy ones, separated only by about five pounds of air differential. It caught the problem early enough to allow me to find a safe and convenient place to pull off the 70 MPH Interstate I was travelling on. I surely appreciated that.

The Mazda system is simple, but it works. And for situations like the OPs, it's a lot easier and cheaper when dealing with changing and / or modifying wheels and tires. And there are no batteries to change as time goes on.
Thanks for the information I was thinking I got hustled for some sensors. Interesting on how all of that works, makes my life a lot easier.

1-CLEAN3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts