2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had issues with TPMS false alarms? It's only happened twice (in 17 months), but it's annoying. The other day I was on a short road trip here in Northern Calif and after 100 or so miles the light and chime went off. Stopped in the next town to check the tires only to find that all were within 1/2# of each other at 39 or so (it was a warm day). Next morning I rechecked them cold and they were all at 34. I reset the TPMS and it hasn't happened again since, but I'd like to be able to trust the damn thing.

·
Working Class Hero
3,582 Posts
Its happened to me a couple of times and nothing was amiss. It did, actually go off once before i replaced my rear brakes when a caliper was hanging up. Interesting warning, I felt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone had issues with TPMS false alarms? It's only happened twice (in 17 months), but it's annoying. The other day I was on a short road trip here in Northern Calif and after 100 or so miles the light and chime went off. Stopped in the next town to check the tires only to find that all were within 1/2# of each other at 39 or so (it was a warm day). Next morning I rechecked them cold and they were all at 34. I reset the TPMS and it hasn't happened again since, but I'd like to be able to trust the damn thing.
I had this happen to me once on my 2016 Mazda 3 and it turned out to be a minuscule nail that had lodged itself in the smallest crevice. I would fill up, reset the sensor and sure enough, 3-4 weeks later air would leak and it would lead to sensor activation. Are you sure you have no leaks at all? I would get a spray bottle and spray some soapy water (thanks ChrisFix) and see if anything comes of it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The car uses the ABS sensor to measure the relative difference in wheel rotation rates. This is a cheap simplistic solution since any wheel slip such as driving on gravel or minor aquaplaning on a wet road can trigger an alarm as has happened to me driving on a wet road. I've also has a false alarm a few days after resetting the TPMS then driving on a much colder morning. Be sure to press the TPMS reset button when you fiddle with the tyre pressures. Hold the button in long enough until you hear the beeps and the warning light stops flashing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had this happen to me once on my 2016 Mazda 3 and it turned out to be a minuscule nail that had lodged itself in the smallest crevice. I would fill up, reset the sensor and sure enough, 3-4 weeks later air would leak and it would lead to sensor activation. Are you sure you have no leaks at all? I would get a spray bottle and spray some soapy water (thanks ChrisFix) and see if anything comes of it.
Exact same thing happened to me. On two tires months apart. They finally found the nail.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had the fake TPMS light on my 14 and 18... it's happened about 4 or 5 times over +200k / 6 years... not enough to make me look for the issue but annoying every time. Never a flat or anything in the tires...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the fake TPMS light on my 14 and 18... it's happened about 4 or 5 times over +200k / 6 years... not enough to make me look for the issue but annoying every time. Never a flat or anything in the tires...
Sounds like I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Never happened in my 2013 CX-5 which I drove for over 6 years before this and used the same TPMS design. Guess I'll have to write it off to manufacturing tolerance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Could be the TPMS or one of the sensors on the wheels.

If the tire pressure is OK in all tires, it probably is just a TPMS fluke. I've had it happen once without finding why it alarmed. If it keeps doing it, get your system checked.

BUT, you should be aware it could still be a bad tire. I found this out a few months ago when the TPMS alarmed on a trip. I pulled over, checked the tires and found no problem with air pressure. However, on that trip I had started hearing a slight thump-thump-thump while driving, so suspected a tire problem somewhere. I ran my hand around the tires and found one of them had developed a longitudinal bump in the center of the tread. It seemed that the belts in that tire were separating, and as they did, it effectively increased the circumference of the tire. This caused a differential in rotation speed compared with the other tires, so the TPMS let me know.

I'm glad it did.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If the tire pressure is OK in all tires, it probably is just a TPMS fluke. I've had it happen once without finding why it alarmed. If it keeps doing it, get your system checked.

BUT, you should be aware it could still be a bad tire. I found this out a few months ago when the TPMS alarmed on a trip. I pulled over, checked the tires and found no problem with air pressure. However, on that trip I had started hearing a slight thump-thump-thump while driving, so suspected a tire problem somewhere. I ran my hand around the tires and found one of them had developed a longitudinal bump in the center of the tread. It seemed that the belts in that tire were separating, and as they did, it effectively increased the circumference of the tire. This caused a differential in rotation speed compared with the other tires, so the TPMS let me know.

I'm glad it did.
Good point. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
667 Posts

I'm glad it did.
See post 4. There are no separate TPMS sensors since a simple system is used to measure differential wheel rotation using the ABS sensors.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,147 Posts
I was getting TPMS alarms and it turned out to be bad tread wear... the rear tires needed replacement ASAP.

The system went off for a nail in my prior Mazda too.

It works pretty well in my experience.
CK

·
Registered
26 Posts
There ARE NO wheel sensors on this style of TPMS. Reread post #4.
The car uses the "ABS" sensors on each hub, I believe that is what he is referring to. I was getting false alarms intermittently and had it into the dealer 4 times before they actually fixed it. The first few times they tried blaming the tire pressure. Next time they cleaned the ABS sensors which didn't resolve the issue.

They finally ended up replacing all 4 ABS sensors under warranty, which resolved the issue. If your having this problem one of your ABS sensors is probably not sending a consistent signal. If the tire pressure is within a few lbs of each other you shouldn't be getting the warning, even on wet pavement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car uses the "ABS" sensors on each hub, I believe that is what he is referring to. I was getting false alarms intermittently and had it into the dealer 4 times before they actually fixed it. The first few times they tried blaming the tire pressure. Next time they cleaned the ABS sensors which didn't resolve the issue.

They finally ended up replacing all 4 ABS sensors under warranty, which resolved the issue. If your having this problem one of your ABS sensors is probably not sending a consistent signal. If the tire pressure is within a few lbs of each other you shouldn't be getting the warning, even on wet pavement.
It's only happened twice in 17 months. but if it starts happening more often I'll keep that in mind. Problem is, the local Mazda dealer closed its doors a few months ago, so warranty service is now 40 miles away.:(

·
Registered
667 Posts

You can a warning if you get aquaplaning on a very wet road due to the differential wheel slip

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought about this post yesterday because my TPMS light came on, but I actually had a nail in my tire. Have you gotten any new info?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts