2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I think hooking up with Toyota's great assets will be a good thing. And while the deal is still not 100% finalized, its preliminary components also call for Mazda to purchase some of Toyota's stock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pontiac got killed off because of GM's mismanagement of it. It was a rattlier, more badly put together Chevy marketed for ""performance"", and it needed to be killed off in order to receive bailout money. Mazda will be fine. Toyota will get handling and chassis dynamics from Mazda and BMW, and Mazda gets access to Toyota's hybrid tech.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Many European countries including the UK will require all electric cars from 2040. It seems Mazda are behind in electric vehicle technology so increasing collaboration with Toyota on electric vehicles is a positive move for Mazda.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
More details of Toyota/Mazda pact:

DetroitNews said:
The two automakers said they could also supply vehicles to each other. The alliance comes two years after the carmakers entered into an agreement to build on a partnership. Mazda does not currently have any auto plants in the U.S.

As part of the alliance, Toyota will acquire 31,928,500 shares of newly issued Mazda stock, giving it around a 5 percent stake in Mazda. Mazda will acquire 50 billion yen worth of Toyota shares for a 0.25 percent stake. The investment deal is expected to be final by October.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
I think this is great news, with a plant in the USA, Mazda can hopefully lower purchase prices on most of their lineup. Having signed a deal with Toyota, even if the worst happens and Mazda died, who better to take over than Toyota? Trust me we'll see Dodge/Chrysler die LONG before Mazda. I think Hyundai/Kia will eventually have to merge as well if they want a seat at the table in the long term. GM will have to dig DEEP if they want to survive, and Ford is well on their way to building the company to survive whatever is to come in the next few decades.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts