2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am moving across the country (North to South) and have concocted a plan to install a towing package and pull a 5’ x 8’ U-Haul trailer with my 2012 Mazda3. I have a few questions...
1. Is this actually feasible? It seems to be, based on my research...but I have yet to talk to someone who has done something like this!

2. What hitch and lighting set up do I need? (I ‘m currently looking into a Curt set up)

3. Do I need to modify anything on my car, other than adding the towing/hitch set up and a plug in for lights?

3. Any advise/tips/etc.?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,339 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
First thing you should do is ask Mazda if you should actually pull a trailer with your car. Your owners manual actually has this to say about towing a trailer-
The Mazda3 is not designed for towing.
Never tow a trailer with your Mazda3

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would worry about the increased heat and potential wear on the transmission. Also the suspension and brakes. You can probably get away with a little harbor freight trailer with some bins and boxes but I'd be weary of that uhaul trailer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
North American Mazda 3's have a tow rating of zero... a choice probably driven to avoid lawsuit happy environment...

for the rest of the planet the Mazda 3 gets the best amazing truly hidden hitch from Mazda factory

and is rated to tow pretty big trailer :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts