2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Would you say installing a hitch on the back of my 2010 3 2.2L Hatch (Automatic) would be difficult? Including the wiriing?

Also, I'm dropped on Eibach Pro's, would I need to go back stock for the installation/towing of a small uhaul? Not sure if maybe I should go back stock since I'm moving to North Jersey with the snow and all. Currently looking into a small 4'x8' uhaul trailer, with possibly a max of 300lbs in the trailer itself.

I know Mazda manual states NO GO on towing, why the heck would there be aftermarket hitches out there for then?

Opinions would be much appreciated! I know this subject has been touched on in the past but I have yet to see anyone go over automatic 3's.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Reactions: ChaoticNeutral

·
Registered
508 Posts
Many owners decide to go ahead with the towing. Mazda North America does not seem to trust the Mazda3 and its actual towing capabilities... Maybe because they dont want to be responsible for long term effects on cars like transaxle issues, etc. If you look at the Mazda3 in Europe and other countries they are OK for towing, whether it is petrol or diesel fuelled.

My advice is make your research before pulling anything. Your car does not have the heavy duty alternator and transmission cooler that a car/truck/van equipped a towing package.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many owners decide to go ahead with the towing. Mazda North America does not seem to trust the Mazda3 and its actual towing capabilities... Maybe because they dont want to be responsible for long term effects on cars like transaxle issues, etc. If you look at the Mazda3 in Europe and other countries they are OK for towing, whether it is petrol or diesel fuelled.

My advice is make your research before pulling anything. Your car does not have the heavy duty alternator and transmission cooler that a car/truck/van equipped a towing package.
I've looked all over, I'm pretty sure it would be safe with the smallest trailer uHaul has to offer with as little weight as possible. I would have been spending close to over $1,200 if I had to rent a truck with a car trailer. Instead I bought the tow hitch equipment for under $200 and the trailer will only run me another $200.

Safe to say for now my mind is clear of any negativity toward towing with my 3, I guess we'll just have to see how it goes!

·
Registered
975 Posts
The speed3 has been rated to be able to tow almost 2000lbs with brakes, and just over 1000lbs without brakes (brakes on the trailer that is... so what you have will be no brakes).

An automatic is certainly not going to help one bit, but being the 2.5L it'll be slightly better.

I definitely would try to tow less than 500lbs though.
Without much cooling the transmission is a bit dangerous (depending how much you're towing and how far you're towing)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the automatic. I installed a heavy duty auxiliary trans cooler (Check you may already have a small trans cooler as the 2010 was located in front the drivers wheel.

Custom hitch (the aftermarket was just too low for me).
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/11148-stealth-hidden-hitch-fold-down-licence-plate.html

The rear springs are pretty weak (especially loaded with passengers and gear).

I have a V8 Truck but the Mazda is easier to reverse and more fun to drive. Originally I only used it for the bike rack but I now use it bi-weekly for dump runs (No trash pickup here) as well as camping trips. A lightweight 4x8 snowbear trailer. I always get compliments on the setup.

As long as your not climbing mountains and can rent a light weight trailer Id say go for it.

easy install both the hitch and wiring - I just let the wire hang out the closed hatch door when Im using it.

Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56011 T-Connector: Automotive

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ENZCH2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts