2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be moving about 900 miles in late July, from South Florida to Eastern Tennessee. I toyed with the idea of installing a hitch and towing a small trailer (an 8x10), but have decided against the wear on the vehicle (unless someone can tell me otherwise). Now the question is, front wheels up? Or does the 3 have to be towed with all 4 up?

Any experience moving with your 3 (whether you towed it or towed with it) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would think one of those car-hauler trailers with all 4 wheels up would be the better way to go. You could then throw a cheap cover on it and keep road debris for damaging the paint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A trailer or flatbed is the only way to go. A car cover is a must, prevent those rock chips and dead bugs.

If towing with a flatbed, don't forget to use the tow hook. Don't let the towing person use their car hooks under the car!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Flatbed is ideal...but if too expensive, then front wheels up.....and as nogood said, use a car cover and drive carefully.

I stuffed everything in my 626 when I moved from Arizona to Florida back in 07....at the time though I had pretty much sold everything bulky that I own so I got away with it....2,400 miles though..no fun without a passenger. Good luck.

·
1,091 Posts
Don't put a cover on the car while towing. Wind from driving + car cover = scratches to high hell. If you want to protect your car additionally while towing, cover the most likely areas with painters tape or gaffer tape, or don't cover it at all.

Q: I'm driving cross country and towing my car on an exposed trailer. What cover should I use?
A: None! Never use a cover for this application. Wind will tear the cover and the repeated flapping will scratch the car's paint.
source

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree on the no cover. I've traveled with an open trailer before and tried to tarp my stuff. The tarp shredded within 35 miles of driving and blew strands of tarp for the next 50 miles before we tore it off and went bareback.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The manual recommends all 4 wheels up. As for a hitch and trailer on the car - it is not recommended, but the hitches do exist. A lot depends on the weight. If your total weight is not more then about 800 lbs. (including the trailer) you should be OK - this is roughly equivalent to 3 adults passengers plus luggage, but then you can't pack a lot of weight in the car either.

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
like said above, no cover, just cover important areas with gaffer tape. While a flatbed is ideal, towing it with just the front wheels up is just fine. All it will do is add 900 miles to the rear tires overall wear.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I can see the point about the cover self destructing. I was thinking it was to be towed behind a u-haul truck. I've seen many on the road pulled like that or even behind a motor home and wind buffeting behind the big vehicle was minimal. I could see issues of towed behind a pick-up or SUV though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts