2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mazda Fresher
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm looking to install a small tow hitch receiver to use as a bike rack holder in the rear. Upon looking through many of the threads, it looks like Curt is the most commonly used. However, I also see that this runs fairly close to the exhaust outlets on the hatchback.

I was also about to install a Corksport exhaust with larger tips.

Which brings the question: has anyone has success or issues with running a Curt hitch or similar with an aftermarket exhaust?

In my mind, it feels like that is going to be a very close tolerance fit. (pic of stock below)

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
Hey all,
I'm looking to install a small tow hitch receiver to use as a bike rack holder in the rear. Upon looking through many of the threads, it looks like Curt is the most commonly used. However, I also see that this runs fairly close to the exhaust outlets on the hatchback.

I was also about to install a Corksport exhaust with larger tips.

Which brings the question: has anyone has success or issues with running a Curt hitch or similar with an aftermarket exhaust?

In my mind, it feels like that is going to be a very close tolerance fit. (pic of stock below)

TIA!
View attachment 275004
Probably not going to work....
These are 4" tips

·
Mazda Fresher
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just use a strap on carrier?
I haven't found one with a fitment for the M3 hatch yet. Likely because of the glue on glass window, the floating spoiler and the location of the lights. There just aren't many points to actually mount.

Probably not going to work....
These are 4" tips
Hmmm, thanks. The Corksport is 90mm (3.5") so it's not quite that full, but certainly pushing my luck...

Still curious to see if anyone has experience actually using an RB, Cork, or UR exhaust with a Curt or simlar...

·
Registered
462 Posts
On the CorkSport website they show a Mazda6 on the hoist with either their axleback or catback system... and it has a hitch. Mebe they're outdoor sports people and they design items with hitch use in mind... for the 3. Ask 'em?

·
Registered
462 Posts
As for me, I really like the Mazda Australia "towbars". They are vertical-axis receiver tube style and when removed they are as close to invisible as you can get. $$$, though, due to shipping costs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I haven't found one with a fitment for the M3 hatch yet. Likely because of the glue on glass window, the floating spoiler and the location of the lights. There just aren't many points to actually mount.
Go to the bike store and find one. Glue on a window? What are you talking about? Open the hatch, secure one end and then the other and close it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know it's not the same, but try seeing if you can relocate the exhaust hangers a bit, I had a similar issue with my previous vehicle (a juke nismo) with a curt hitch and an aftermarket exhaust. I think my car had a 2.5" exhaust and there was barely any room on each side before hitting the hitch bar.

you could also do a roof rack if the bike is not heavier than a road bike. In my opinion it felt a bit flimsy (the bike never fell though) when I had it on the juke so eventually I ended up with the tow hitch.

There's also a thing I found online the other day, I can't remember what it's called but it was like 3 suction cups to hold a bike up and it didn't matter what vehicle you had. I've never used it, but it seemed legit, perhaps try looking that up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not convinced that the 4 bolt-down brackets (for roof rack use) that Mazda provides (hidden behind the roof seam mouldings) are strong enough to stoutly secure the factory roof rack (with bike attached)... I like receptacle style trailer hitches and bike rack stabilizing / steadying straps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not convinced that the 4 bolt-down brackets (for roof rack use) that Mazda provides (hidden behind the roof seam mouldings) are strong enough to stoutly secure the factory roof rack (with bike attached)... I like receptacle style trailer hitches and bike rack stabilizing / steadying straps.
I don't think I've seen a newer mazda with a roof rack and a bike recently, but I agree with you, after having tried it out I wasn't completely sold. Plus...less wind resistance with the tow hitch.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Speaking of roof racks, I have a 6th Gen. Honda Civic 2 dr (model year 1997) - in great condition. I have a Sportrack roof rack along with "short roof adapter" tie-bars (they tie front bar to rear bar and allow the rear towers to be placed 'way behind the door openings). There are no conventional drip rails on my Honda. I have NEVER felt a more stable roof rack set-up than that!

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
I should clarify: I don't think that the hold down brackets themselves are strong enough to not easily bend upwards when the roof rack towers are placed above them and tightened-down. Of course it depends on the torque applied to the bolts. If the brackets bend upwards the garnish moulding for the roof seam stands proud of the roof surface... and the slide-on "doors" will not slide-on any more. Another side-item, it seems to me, is that you don't want to bottom-out the bolts onto the roof seam trough either lest it result in a corrosion spot.

All told this roof rack attachment system is light-duty at best. Maybe the system could be used in addition (and as a secondary safety-stop) to a conventional into-the-doorjamb-area roof rack hold-down system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I should clarify: I don't think that the hold down brackets themselves are strong enough to not easily bend upwards when the roof rack towers are placed above them and tightened-down. Of course it depends on the torque applied to the bolts. If the brackets bend upwards the garnish moulding for the roof seam stands proud of the roof surface... and the slide-on "doors" will not slide-on any more. Another side-item, it seems to me, is that you don't want to bottom-out the bolts onto the roof seam trough either lest it result in a corrosion spot.

All told this roof rack attachment system is light-duty at best. Maybe the system could be used in addition (and as a secondary safety-stop) to a conventional into-the-doorjamb-area roof rack hold-down system.
Haha that's interesting. The rack I had on the Juke was also from Sportrack. I'm a bit too cheap to buy a Yakima or something like that, though....those do seem a bit more sturdy. Having said that, I'd definitely say it's light duty as I only put the road bike on there. I also have a 29r MTB, but I never dared to put it up there.

That's a pretty well maintained civic you got there, I totally did not expect the ladder lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used the factory style rack all last summer with one or two mountain bikes on it. Those and the Highroad mounts (which are quite heavy). It’s actually the rack from a gen 2 but fit perfectly. Never did it seem unstable. Never loosened. I did change from the stud/double nut system to a regular stainless bolt.

That being said, I don’t think I would strap anything more than a couple hundred pounds on it, if that.

I am planning to make this too this coming year.

Custom Bicycle rack - rear mount
Custom Bicycle rack - rear mount

Plan is to be able to go on longer distance trips but save the gas mileage loss with the roof rack.
Nate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts