2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mazda Fresher
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm looking to install a small tow hitch receiver to use as a bike rack holder in the rear. Upon looking through many of the threads, it looks like Curt is the most commonly used. However, I also see that this runs fairly close to the exhaust outlets on the hatchback.

I was also about to install a Corksport exhaust with larger tips.

Which brings the question: has anyone has success or issues with running a Curt hitch or similar with an aftermarket exhaust?

In my mind, it feels like that is going to be a very close tolerance fit. (pic of stock below)

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
4,877 Posts
Hey all,
I'm looking to install a small tow hitch receiver to use as a bike rack holder in the rear. Upon looking through many of the threads, it looks like Curt is the most commonly used. However, I also see that this runs fairly close to the exhaust outlets on the hatchback.

I was also about to install a Corksport exhaust with larger tips.

Which brings the question: has anyone has success or issues with running a Curt hitch or similar with an aftermarket exhaust?

In my mind, it feels like that is going to be a very close tolerance fit. (pic of stock below)

TIA!
View attachment 275004
Probably not going to work....
These are 4" tips

·
Mazda Fresher
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just use a strap on carrier?
I haven't found one with a fitment for the M3 hatch yet. Likely because of the glue on glass window, the floating spoiler and the location of the lights. There just aren't many points to actually mount.

Probably not going to work....
These are 4" tips
Hmmm, thanks. The Corksport is 90mm (3.5") so it's not quite that full, but certainly pushing my luck...

Still curious to see if anyone has experience actually using an RB, Cork, or UR exhaust with a Curt or simlar...

·
Registered
246 Posts
On the CorkSport website they show a Mazda6 on the hoist with either their axleback or catback system... and it has a hitch. Mebe they're outdoor sports people and they design items with hitch use in mind... for the 3. Ask 'em?

·
Registered
246 Posts
As for me, I really like the Mazda Australia "towbars". They are vertical-axis receiver tube style and when removed they are as close to invisible as you can get. $$$, though, due to shipping costs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't found one with a fitment for the M3 hatch yet. Likely because of the glue on glass window, the floating spoiler and the location of the lights. There just aren't many points to actually mount.
Go to the bike store and find one. Glue on a window? What are you talking about? Open the hatch, secure one end and then the other and close it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts