2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my car didn't come with a towhook shortly after I purchased it. Never thought much about it.

Before I asked the dealer about it I did a little research. What I found is Mazda refers to them as tie down hooks and not tow hooks. Mazda also does not recommend towing the vehicle with them.

When I thought about it, this makes sense. I know recovering cars, operators consider a securely mounted wheel as the strongest part of a unibody vehicle and will recover it from there.

Also I learned years ago at the track, tow hooks were only used for flat "towing". i.e. dragging a disabled vehicle into the pits using a tow rope.

My conclusion is the tow hook is not necessary but nice to have. I may buy one but have owned street cars without one and haven't had an issue.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well if you want one I'm sure the Honda "Too low to the flo'" guys have a couple of tow hooks in mystic purple if you want them. ;-)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you want one I'm sure the Honda "Too low to the flo'" guys have a couple of tow hooks in mystic purple if you want them. ;-)
Would they even fit Mazda? In any case, those stance tow hooks with the hinge are not strong and you will see the sellers of those also stipulate they are not intended for towing.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
A real tow hook? Sure. A rice hook? Pass!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A real tow hook? Sure. A rice hook? Pass!
Well that is what I am asking I guess.

What is the difference from a "real tow hook" and a "rice hook"?

From what I read the last couple days they are the same. And so to criticize a "rice hook" because you think a "real tow hook" is superior, is a false argument.

Please provide facts to disprove, as I am very curious now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Noticed my car didn't come with a towhook shortly after I purchased it. Never thought much about it.

Before I asked the dealer about it I did a little research. What I found is Mazda refers to them as tie down hooks and not tow hooks. Mazda also does not recommend towing the vehicle with them.

When I thought about it, this makes sense. I know recovering cars, operators consider a securely mounted wheel as the strongest part of a unibody vehicle and will recover it from there.

Also I learned years ago at the track, tow hooks were only used for flat "towing". i.e. dragging a disabled vehicle into the pits using a tow rope.

My conclusion is the tow hook is not necessary but nice to have. I may buy one but have owned street cars without one and haven't had an issue.

What are your thoughts on this?
I believe this topic has been discussed previously. In the US, Mazda absolutely does not provide unless a few lucky fellows happen to find them in the spare tire area. You are correct Mazda describes them as tie down hooks, for shipping purposes only. They are not tow hooks. If they are used initially as tie downs for ocean or ground shipping, the dealer discards.

I agree it would be nice to have if there were a situation where you need to pull your car a short distance on a nice pristine surface, but again in the US, I don't think Mazda wanted to endure that liability of it being misused.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yeah, i have one in my 2015 mazda3 but the dealer would not give me one for my wifes 2016 CX5.
I had previously had my bmw towed and they used that same setup to get the car onto the trailer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I asked my sales rep about it and he provided one for me. Not much to look at, but it fills the empty space in the spare tyre foam. From what I understand, they are usually removed at the customs warehouse. Probably for the reasons listed above: avoiding liability in this overly litigious society.

~Ex

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
I had to buy one for my 2017 Mazda 3, about $40CND from the dealer, not expensive at all. Its made of proper metal, has good deep threads, if your in a situation where your off the road or stuck in a snow pile, having the OEM tow hook will be very handy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine did not come with one, either (I'm in the US). I bought an OEM one for about $20 to use as a front tie down when carrying my kayak on the roof (I have a tow hitch and use that for the rear tie down).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts