2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I would like to share you my tow bar installation from Mazda. They charged me for around 1K €.

Sticky white Strange things...

Here is a little present that I discovered after the installation :

- Is it me, or it looks really ugly ?

Every feedback appreciated. Thanks you.

·
Registered
988 Posts
IMO, it does not look ugly but installation quality is very poor.

It looks like they they were not careful with what it looks like is slicone adhesive. In cases like this it was recommended to use 3M double adhesive tape as you have total control of it and you avoid "leakage" on the surface. (That is how the Aero Kit is installed too)

Now, try cleaning it up and regarding the scratch try to "compound" it, I'm pretty sure it's not a deep scratch.

If you see that cleaning it up doesn't work, or it's too sticky then go to the dealer and complain about their work, In the end of the day do what makes you feel happy, and do what will give you peace of mind :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
As far as I can see this is really badly fitted.

You can see what mine looks like in the photo below (2014 model). I can see that it has been fitted with double adhesive tape.
I really would not accept this and certainly not for €1000!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, that is very poorly installed!!

The "strange white sticky" stuff is residue from when they used duct tape along the rear while the silicone adhesive fully cures. Then when they pulled it off, some of the sticky stuff from tape remained. You can very easily clean that up with WD-40 spray on a rag/towel. If you don't get it off soon, the heat from exhaust tips will bake it on there for life.

I wish we could get those OEM hitches (tow bar) here in the U.S. They are the best built ones out because they are 100% hidden (Torklift comes close). Would be cool to find a dealer that sells and ships those here at a discount.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That install was a hack job. That looks like bathroom caulking!!! Someone obviously didn't want to be at work that day.

That looks like a brand new car. I would be back at the dealer asap saying you just noticed how poorly it's been fitted, that residue was left on the bumper, as well as a scratch in your brand new car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thx for all your reply.

My car is fresh new, got it for less than 6 months.

[...] I would be back at the dealer asap saying you just noticed how poorly it's been fitted [...]
I did it : I said to the workshop manager that the job I paid for wasn't acceptable. I'm young so he didn't take me high, he replyed I'm too demanding, he did his best with what Mazda gave him and conclude before leaving It's like that and not otherwise.

For the residues near the exhaust pipe and the scratch, I unfortunately discovered them too late when I was back at home.

Made a salted letter to Mazda's customer Relationship. I'll see what's going on. One thing is sure I'm very disappointed...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here they are :
Cool, thanks! Really interesting to see this.

However, I am a little curious: the most common thing I use my tow hitch for isn't even towing, it's for a hitch-mounted bicycle rack, which fits in my 1.25-inch receiver. Do they not have bike racks like that in Europe, or do they have a way of attaching those to this kind of hitch?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cool, thanks! Really interesting to see this.

However, I am a little curious: the most common thing I use my tow hitch for isn't even towing, it's for a hitch-mounted bicycle rack, which fits in my 1.25-inch receiver. Do they not have bike racks like that in Europe, or do they have a way of attaching those to this kind of hitch?
I was wondering if a bike rack would fit on this the other day too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts