2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving Mazda fans!

I'm hoping to get my vehicles prepped for winter in the near future. Touch up a couple of scratches, give it a good wash, and wax all around. My first question is what touch up paint you guys recommend? I've attached a couple pictures of the scratches. The one on the mirror is down to the plastic. The one on the door appears to be down to the primer - looks almost gouged. Not sure how either occurred. Both are relatively small. Mazda offers a touchup pen that is affordable, easy to use, and should be a good color match. I'm leaning this route but I know there are some other products on the market that might produce better results with a little more money and time. Searching for opinions.

The car also still has some paint sealant that the dealer put on a little over a year ago. Water beads in some places but not others. Any reason I should try to take remove this before covering it with wax? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have used the Mazda touch-up pen on a Jet Black car. It's definitely easy to use, and because the car is black there is not a noticeable difference in color. However, using the pen obviously is not ideal.

I didn't care too much about appearance, but the pen leaves raised paint wherever you use it. I looked at it as just a protection against further chipping or rust, but it is definitely a trade-off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Nathan. Your actually from my neck of the woods. If you like the import scene, or just cars in general, you should check out fuel coffee on Saturday mornings downtown, but I digress.

Had the nice weather yesterday to get all of this done so I went to a Mazda dealer and just bought the touch up pen. It fixes tiny specs great. You would never know they were there. Bigger scratches like those in my pictures didn't turn out so well. It seemed like I put down the right amount of paint but once it dried it thinned out. You can definitely still tell where the scratches were. I need to try to make these better. I will probably try just layering paint until it looks good. If I had it to do over, I might put down some primer or even bondo first .

Just layered the wax over the sealant. Nothing looks off but I still don't like the idea of it. Think I might use a wax/sealant remover in the spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd clay next time before you wax. This will strip the sealant/wax, as well as any contaminants on the car that a regular wash doesn't remove. Then wax right after.

As for touch up paint, I've heard good things about Dr Colorchip but haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
To repair chips you need some serious attetion when doing it yourself. This take patience and TIME!

Ive tried the old fashioned way, with mixing clear and color, with good luck. The blob need to removed away with wetsanding, and then you level the whole area out with wetsanding, and polishup.

Ive tried the LANKA system, and that works good enough, but i think Dr. Colorchip is the way to go.

I do detailing of cars, so im really nerdy about this :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silentrecon, claying is good advice. I've never clayed a car before. It seems very time consuming. But, I also always notice little pieces of dirt etc left after washing. It's probably worth the effort to do it before waxing. I did purchase some Groots garage paint prep, which is supposed to remove waxes and sealants. Next time around I think I'll use that.

Thanks Thomas. Oddly, the chips really seemed to cover up well with just the Mazda pen, but they weren't particularly severe. It's the two gashes (these were deep, down to primer/plastic) that seem like they are going to be a pain to take care of. Just having them coated so that water doesn't get in is a load off my mind, but I am going to try and improve these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts