2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learned today how fragile the Maz3 paint is. Anyone suggest a good source for OEM touch up paint? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yeah.. it's not going to look very good.. worse looking maybe.
CK

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The dealer paint for touch up is ass. It's those stupid pens. Completely worthless.

If you browse Amazon, you'll find that there is little bottles of touch up paint with a brush that is mixed to your paint code. I got one and have been very happy. It's also not expensive which is always nice.

An alternative is to find a shop that will mix up a pint of the professional stuff and use a small brush. Just be warned that it's hazardous stuff.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The dealer paint for touch up is ass. It's those stupid pens. Completely worthless.

If you browse Amazon, you'll find that there is little bottles of touch up paint with a brush that is mixed to your paint code. I got one and have been very happy. It's also not expensive which is always nice.

An alternative is to find a shop that will mix up a pint of the professional stuff and use a small brush. Just be warned that it's hazardous stuff.
Or custom ompumixed, color matched & canned. This 1's by Roberlo.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 rub works really well on scratches and spot marks..unless the paint is completely chipped off..
CK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your comments. Color is Deep Crystal Blue Mica. Opened back door with too much enthusiasm and hit garage wall which chipped paint off the door edge. Bought mid July w/ 32K miles and car looks great other than very slight scratch on trunk lid, which I have to buff out. Thanks for the Meguiars tip.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. Color is Deep Crystal Blue Mica. Opened back door with too much enthusiasm and hit garage wall which chipped paint off the door edge. Bought mid July w/ 32K miles and car looks great other than very slight scratch on trunk lid, which I have to buff out. Thanks for the Meguiars tip.
Same color as mine. Great minds think alike.

Try to put some paint on any stone chip you can find. Those chips where the paint is gone will be more prone to rust in the long run. Patch them early and it won't be a problem.

Strangely, I don't find I have a lot of chips on my car. Maybe it's just the dark color hiding them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use Automotivetouchup.com for all my touchup and spray paints. It isn't cheap, but it matches really well. I just bought a 2015 3 hatchback in the same color as yours that got t-boned. I had doors and a front fender off a parts car, but they were the wrong color. I bought 7 rattle cans (as per their recommendations) and started painting. Well, I ran out and ordered 3 more cans, which should have been a disaster in terms of color match. But the newest batch matched the first order perfectly, and both matched the original color as well. I've used them on Subaru, Toyota, Ford and two Mazdas and the color match, even on older cars with age-fade has been remarkable. I'm kind of a hobbyist salvage car rebuilder, so I buy lots of paint.

One word of caution: Do not sand metallic touchup paints. When you sand you will disturb the metal flakes and you will see it in the finished product. Thin coats. Wipe off any lumps or mistakes when still wet. then clear coat. If your door edge is likely to get this damage again, then buy the door edge guards. They are ugly, but they work...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rocket - thank you! Just ordered from Automotive..... And I had googled other paint sources prior to reading your post and found Auto... to be very cost competitive for my purposes.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I use Automotivetouchup.com for all my touchup and spray paints. It isn't cheap, but it matches really well. I just bought a 2015 3 hatchback in the same color as yours that got t-boned. I had doors and a front fender off a parts car, but they were the wrong color. I bought 7 rattle cans (as per their recommendations) and started painting. Well, I ran out and ordered 3 more cans, which should have been a disaster in terms of color match. But the newest batch matched the first order perfectly, and both matched the original color as well. I've used them on Subaru, Toyota, Ford and two Mazdas and the color match, even on older cars with age-fade has been remarkable. I'm kind of a hobbyist salvage car rebuilder, so I buy lots of paint.

One word of caution: Do not sand metallic touchup paints. When you sand you will disturb the metal flakes and you will see it in the finished product. Thin coats. Wipe off any lumps or mistakes when still wet. then clear coat. If your door edge is likely to get this damage again, then buy the door edge guards. They are ugly, but they work...
As a hobbyist, have you considered going with the air gun? Produces far better results than the rattle cans ever could. I made the switch years ago and can say that it's also cheaper. I can get a pint of waterbourne paint for about $30 CAD and it goes a long way. That will easily put 3 base coats on a fender with plenty to spare. The tools are not expensive besides a decent compressor, but like me you may already have one.
You could also adapt an airbrush for some interesting things....

Only caution I make also goes for any any automotive paint. This paint is extremely hazardous to your health no matter what kind you choose to use. We should all be using proper gear when spraying paint. A respirator mask with P100/OV combination cartridges is a must. Personally, I use that plus disposable coveralls. Disposable gloves are necessary for both safety and the fact that the oil on your skin can upset the paint curing.

Anyway, maybe you already do this. If not I highly recommend it provided that you're willing to take the time to set up your paint area properly and be safe with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just google touchup paint for mazda, and this one site pops up. Have ordered from them many times for both the Mz3 and Mx5. Can get in either pens or "cups" or "cans". I like the cup with a pen. Can dip the pen in the cup and get precise placement. The pens dry out very quickly.

Ralph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts