2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve been reading all the threads about enabling touchscreen while driving prior to v59.502. Although our new car is a 14 plate, the previous owner had the software updated to 502 but hadn’t enabled the touch while driving through the easy to do JCI test menu.

I’m not brave enough to use the AIO and all the serial hack stuff but all we want to do is enable the touch while driving (my insignia is pretty much only touch screen from factory so a bit of madness as why Mazda decided this was unsafe).

Is there a similar easy way to only change the touchscreen setting on v59.502 or on the newer v70 software (we are considering car play but seems it would be easier and is designed for touch screen use).

I’ve read about downgrading the software as ours is an older car but there are warnings that it could fry a chip (forgot what it’s called - NOM chip or something similar) so don’t want to risk destroying the CMU.

Thanks all!

Geoffers

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
As far as I know you can not downgrade further than 59.00.502. So there is no other option than using the serial method and afterwards using AIO touchscreen tweak. Activation of MZD touchscreen via JCI testmode is not possible anymore since at least 56.00.513C.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know you can not downgrade further than 59.00.502. So there is no other option than using the serial method and afterwards using AIO touchscreen tweak. Activation of MZD touchscreen via JCI testmode is not possible anymore since at least 56.00.513C.
Dagnabbit,

Does that go for a dealer as well? I’m guessing so. I might have a friendly word with mine to see if it can be done via some of their wizardry.

Ok thanks for the quick response! Looks like I’ll have to look into the serial method at some stage ?

Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update from the dealer (apologies if you already knew this) but they confirmed even they can’t downgrade the firmware.

So it seems my only option would be the serial hack...

Does anyone know if the serial hack method would simply enable me to press the 3 buttons, access te JCI menu and enable touchscreen when driving? Or do I need to start adding files and stuff as that’s a bit beyond me at the moment until I’ve done a lot more reading.

Also, if the touch screen is enabled and then someone does a factory reset of the connect system, does that erase the touch setting or will it be retained.

Thanks all!

Geoffers

·
Immortal
280 Posts
you need AIO for enabling, first serial hack and then aio touchscreen tweak. I did it just yesterday and applied only two tweaks - touchscreen(aio) and speedcam(not from AIO)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you need AIO for enabling, first serial hack and then aio touchscreen tweak. I did it just yesterday and applied only two tweaks - touchscreen(aio) and speedcam(not from AIO)
Thanks rixm6!

That sounds fairly straight forward. Can this be done on any version of the firmware (ie v59 and v70). We’re looking at carplay and thinknit would run better with touchscreen but not sure if the serial hack has been stopped on v70.

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have latest v70 and carplay - all working waze, spotify, etc
Awesome!

Don’t tell my Mrs...she’ll be expecting me to sort it over the weekend ?

I’ll let you know if/how we get on with it.

Would you recommend the upgrade then, over the Mazda built in Nav, etc. Any major benefits other than the live traffic and always up to date maps that one may not know until they’ve played about with it for a few weeks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had Carplay installed and that brought me to v70 (100). I really don't want to do all the disassembly etc for the serial hack. But I want to enable the touch screen; I know I can't use AIO from a flash drive without the serial hack. However, I see there is an rj45 port - can I access the 'system' via shell? I am thinking that I can hook the car into a router, then use putty to get into the system. Is there a root user? I think I can figure out some things from the files in the various AIO installs, but I'm hoping that there's a config file I can just edit.

Can I enable usb flashing from the shell?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What RJ45 port? I have a 2015 Mazda 3 and I went through the firmware update and AA/CP DIY but I don't see any RJ45.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From what I remember, sshd in firmware 59.00.502+ is configured to accept public key authentication only. So you can't use a password. The password only works over the serial connection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carplay in and working. Had it done by main dealer as it was in for a through check up and they knocked a bit off the install cost so it didn’t really cost anything to install much above the cost of the parts so was worth it for us or it probably still would t be in if left to me ?

Mrs loves it. Maps work well and display the speed when a desination is set along with traffic all the time etc.

I have fully functioning touch screen in mine which is good but have to admit that having used the control wheel for a while now actually prefer it. Yes it is slightly fussy at times but once you get used to how it works on each screen it’s quicker and easier (especially over bumpy roads where touch screen is nigh on impossible to operate).

Most of all, Mrs and the kids love the music streaming via Spotify/amazon music and has kept them quiet on the trips out over the festive season.

Money well spent for us ? and bang up to date now (unlike my 4 year old insignia elite which now feels outdated at the side of my wife’s 14 plate Mazda 3 and has no hope of having the same upgrade available despite the large touchscreen display - well done Mazda for making this available for older vehicles)!

Geoffers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carplay in and working. Had it done by main dealer as it was in for a through check up and they knocked a bit off the install cost so it didn’t really cost anything to install much above the cost of the parts so was worth it for us or it probably still would t be in if left to me ?

Mrs loves it. Maps work well and display the speed when a desination is set along with traffic all the time etc.

I have fully functioning touch screen in mine which is good but have to admit that having used the control wheel for a while now actually prefer it. Yes it is slightly fussy at times but once you get used to how it works on each screen it’s quicker and easier (especially over bumpy roads where touch screen is nigh on impossible to operate).

Most of all, Mrs and the kids love the music streaming via Spotify/amazon music and has kept them quiet on the trips out over the festive season.

Money well spent for us ? and bang up to date now (unlike my 4 year old insignia elite which now feels outdated at the side of my wife’s 14 plate Mazda 3 and has no hope of having the same upgrade available despite the large touchscreen display - well done Mazda for making this available for older vehicles)!

Geoffers
How did you get the touchscreen to work while moving? I have no issues getting to the back of the CPU to access the serial port. Can someone help point me to the the cable and software that is needed to add the touchscreen tweak? And is it easy to do the software side of the install? Thanks!

·
Pretty Cool Dude
326 Posts
Does touchscreen while working work on Official AA on V70?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
No, it does not. Tested it myself on EU 70.00.021, 70.00.100 and 70.00.335. AIO "Touchscreen while moving"-Tweak only works for MZD menu and I think for original Apple Carplay, but not for original Android Auto. Can not say anything about current AIO AA, as I do not use it anymore, but when I tested it about one year ago with FW 59, touchscreen while moving worked with AIO AA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts