2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the touch is disabled while driving, for instance while trying to enter an address into the navi. This continues to irritate me as the voice recognition is not the greatest. Most of the time when I am trying to enter an address I have a passenger in the passenger seat. Why can't the touch be activated if there is weight in the passenger seat with the seatbelt connected?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's a safety feature that's really important. The voice recognition has a feature for improving how it hears you. I'd do that little program and it should be fine

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hack, I get that it is a important safety feature. I'm all about being safe while driving. No texting and hardly any calling for me. I can see how it would be pretty distracting reaching all the way up there, however why can't the passenger operate the navi touch screen?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Because then people could abuse that system by rigging the seat sensor or adding a weight. Also then the driver can do it while there is is passenger. The HMI can control the whole system and even during my test drive I had it down without looking.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I hate this "safety feature" as well and as a result, I don't have a single finger print on my TOUCH SCREEN because I've accepted it as completely nonfunctional to me and use the damn joy stick.

I hate when manufacturers FORCE these types of "features" on the consumer without giving us the option to enable or disable it.

I hope someone figures out a way to bypass this crap so that I can actually use the damn touch screen for longer then the 15-20 seconds while waiting at red lights! :censored 1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Government mandated:

"Under current guidelines in effect for the auto industry, drivers are allowed to read texts and perform other tasks on vehicle infotainment systems ... under 5 mph"

(from US safety regulators want voluntary limits on touchscreens in cars - SlashGear)

I'm hoping there's a way to hack this. On aftermarket radios, you can ground the parking brake sensor to bypass the mandated safety lockouts. Not sure if that would be possible with an integrated system like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts