2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, this is the hardest thread i've ever had to write anywhere. About a week ago I was side swiped by a dude who was driving like a maniac on the 101, He ended up pushing me into the center divider at 80mph. Myself and my passenger were ok, but my speed.....the speed is completely totaled, every body panel was dented and a good portion of my engine block ended up on the road (along with my left front tire which bounced over into oncoming traffic) . I've been recovering the past few days and coming to terms with what happened.

Seatbelt bruises and bumps aside, I'm not sure what im going to do next. I got a call 2 days ago asking me to identify the dude who hit me and ran, I did and plan to press charges for atleast my medical bills, i'm not sure whats happening on the car front. Feel like a big part of me has been taken away, and idk when i'll be able to afford to replace my car. Until insurance figures all this out, it looks like ill be rocking a :scooter 1: :pinch:

Anyway, i wanted to thank this whole community for being really damn awesome, it was a pleasure meeting you guys at meets and having a look at your rides. I'll continue lurking around until i get a replacement and can join in the fun again. It was a damn good run while it lasted.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hit and run = bullshit

I hurt for you funky. We got our speeds around the same time if I remember correctly.

That guy, I hope they catch him. What kind of info did you give to the police about the hit and run assjerk? License plate?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sucks about the car but it sounds like you and your passenger were lucky to not have been more seriously injured or worse. Take it easy and feel better first.

·
Registered
243 Posts
accidents happen . . . hit and run is no accident. i'd be in jail for murder after the work i put into the car. then after i did my time i'd get another car to mod :)

glad u came out ok

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry to hear and sucks about your speed. At least you and your passenger are ok and safe...I hope they catch the ass that hit you.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
Maaaaaaan.. sorry hear about this. hope your doing well and healing not injured badly.. trust me i understand how you feel and hope all works out well for you. keep us updated on the progress. get another speed!! :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sorry to hear about that shit... glad you are ok. Hope there is a lead on the fuckhead that did it. You should be ok with your insurance company as long as your stuff was straight. The SPEED's seem to hold their value. Wish you the best.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
Really sorry to hear. Any accident sucks, but a hit and run must be so much worse.

On the one hand, at least you and your passenger are alive after an 80mph collision, the car can be replaced with anything, your lives can't. As much as losing your speed sucks, at least you only have to goto a dealer, not a funeral.

Wish you and your passenger a speedy & healthy recovery.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate the good will guys, means a lot. The guy that hit us was driving an a massive black escalade which turned out to be stolen. Luckily for me, the lady driving behind me called the police and followed the the guy who hit us. They caught him that day but i wasnt told about it untill a couple days ago when they had me identify the escalade from photos, it had silver speed paint all down the side of it :(

I've gotten the ball rolling on legal stuff but from what i understand the guy was arrested so it could be an uphill battle if he doesn't have any $$ or insurance. My insurance company (mercury) hasnt exactly been great so far but that could be because my insurance coverage is average and i don't have uninsured persons collusion protection. at this point im waiting to hear back from the insurance company as to what they're going to do from here on out. The worst part is if I end up getting reimbursed I won't be able to buy a new one...but maybe that'll just open things up to more tuning ;)

again, cheers for having me as a part of this community and if some guy rolls up on a bike to a meet in the near future, don't be to surprised!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Shitty deal man. I'm sure you could get something else pretty cool if the insurance company gave you fair market value. Glad to hear you're ok though.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
I really appreciate the good will guys, means a lot. The guy that hit us was driving an a massive black escalade which turned out to be stolen. Luckily for me, the lady driving behind me called the police and followed the the guy who hit us. They caught him that day but i wasnt told about it untill a couple days ago when they had me identify the escalade from photos, it had silver speed paint all down the side of it :(

I've gotten the ball rolling on legal stuff but from what i understand the guy was arrested so it could be an uphill battle if he doesn't have any $$ or insurance. My insurance company (mercury) hasnt exactly been great so far but that could be because my insurance coverage is average and i don't have uninsured persons collusion protection. at this point im waiting to hear back from the insurance company as to what they're going to do from here on out. The worst part is if I end up getting reimbursed I won't be able to buy a new one...but maybe that'll just open things up to more tuning ;)

again, cheers for having me as a part of this community and if some guy rolls up on a bike to a meet in the near future, don't be to surprised!
Mercury has been really good to me on both my screw ups.. xD hopefully they will come around for you

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Speed but like everyone else has said, the car did its last job and protected you and your passenger. A+ to Mazda for all the dead 3's I've seen, no serious human injuries.

Stuff like this though is the reason why insurance exists. If you have your policy straight (it's a new car... no reason it shouldn't be) you're going to get that reimbursement.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Glad you are safe. This sucks a lot though. Always hate hearing this stuff. Definitely lucky to be safe and no real injuries. The speeds did it's job saving your life.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
So glad to hear you both made it out okay. Total shit situation for you both, but at least they caught that dick swipe. Kudos to the lady who followed him too. Stay strong man, let us know if u need anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts