2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this torque multiplier a few years ago and haven't gotten around to fabricating a handle for it. I had to figure a way to hold it in place to prevent rotation when applying force to the torque wrench.

Worked like a champ. Oh, and in case anyone needs to know, the torque values for the axle nut are:
  • 235.2 - 274.4Nm
  • 23.99 - 27.98 kgf-m
  • 173.5 - 202.3 ft-lbs
The axle nut is 32mm. A 1¼" socket will work, which is what I used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another pro tip, buy some of the ARP ultra-torque thread lubricant/torque spec magic sauce, it's designed for more accurate high-torque application. I was able to get the extra 1/4 turn or whatever with just a 26" harbor freight breaker bar.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To the OP... excellent info. Are Torque Mulipliers expensive? Re the ARP magic sauce.... while I have no doubts that ARP is credible re torquing-up rodbolts, etc. the whole matter of cleanliness, lubed or not, what kind of lubricant, etc. is a complicated subject.... and big differences in stretch can occur depending on these specifics. What does Mazda themselves suggest...'cuz it's Mazda who has spec'd the torque value...?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it on e-Bay and can't remember what I paid for it. Considering how important proper torque is on an axle nut, that's one tool where I won't quibble on price.

A lot of guys have different theories about using oil, anti Seize, or other lubricants on threads. From what I've read, these affect the final torque value by 12-15%.

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
To the OP... excellent info. Are Torque Mulipliers expensive? Re the ARP magic sauce.... while I have no doubts that ARP is credible re torquing-up rodbolts, etc. the whole matter of cleanliness, lubed or not, what kind of lubricant, etc. is a complicated subject.... and big differences in stretch can occur depending on these specifics. What does Mazda themselves suggest...'cuz it's Mazda who has spec'd the torque value...?
Most torque values are dry unless otherwise specified.
And yes, oiling the threads can increase the applied torque well past the specified amount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts