2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a review for the Torque Solution Rear Engine Mount installed on a 2010 2.5L Mazda3, 6 spd manual. As of this review, the mount has been installed for ~1000km and just over 1 month. As far as I know, it is compatible with all 1st and 2nd gen Mazda 3's with 2.0/2.3/2.3TC/2.5 engines.
Torque Solution Aluminum Rear Engine Mount: Mazdaspeed 3 & Mazda3 ALL

Background
Like a lot of other 1st & 2nd gen owners, I experienced obvious engine movement during various types of driving. I was okay with some movement during aggresive high rpm shifting but after a few years of owning the car, I still couldn't consistently and smoothly shift from gears 1-2, so I started looking into purchasing a rear engine mount hoping to fix this issue. Some of the more popular mounts for our 3's have multiple reviews but I was only able to find one mediocre review on the Torque Solutions mount. After some research, mostly on Evo forums, I was convinced that the company makes decent quality products and decided to order one from: garage16 - Homepage

Note: My car had 110k km when installed, so the new mount will be reviewed against an older stock mount which was in good condition. Other cars may have different results depending on the condition of the stock mount.

Build Quality
The mount is machined aluminum with a black anodized finish and a larger than stock polyurethane bushing. The design looks good, not overly beefy but not wimpy either and it has what looks to be a decent quality transmission side bolt & nut.

Install/Fitment
The install was very straightforward. It took me longer to get all the tools and raise the car than it did to change the mount. I did this along with an oil change and it took me 20 additional minutes. The mount fit into the crossmember gap perfectly with no vertical play between the bushing faces and frame.

Results
Initial Results:
The first thing I noticed was when I started the car, the jolt from the starter engagement was more noticeable, but felt really firm and solid. The interior noise was a bit louder but not rattly, more solid feeling which I didn't mind. There was an obvious vibration at idle. It would come and go every few seconds. Prior to the install, my car never experienced any vibration. When I first drove the car the first thing I noticed was again, the vibration when taking off in first gear. It's noticeable until about 1250 rpm. The second thing I noticed was the improvement in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Finally I could shift from 1st to 2nd gear as smoothly as the other gears and not loose momentum! The shifts in all the other gears were smoother especially at high rpms, but the 1st to 2nd gear shift was by far the biggest improvement I initially noticed.

After 1 month:
Having the mount installed for around 1000 km, I feel like I have a good idea of how it affected my driving and the car's performance.
The noise introduced by the higher durometer bushing has decreased slightly (or I have just gotten used to it) but the vibrations are almost exactly the same as they were on day 1 but mainly occur during idle right after startup or during takeoff. With the AC on, the car does not vibrate any more than at idle but it is slightly louder. Others have mentioned a lot more vibration at idle with AC but for me AC doesn't have a noticeable affect on vibration.
The shifts from 1st to 2nd are still super smooth and down-shifts are more predictable. Any NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness) introduced by the mount which is noticeable below 1250 RPM does not affect the car during normal driving.

Summary
The Torque Solution Rear Motor Mount significantly reduces back & forth movement of the engine/transaxle. This helps with shifting at any speed and drastically improves the previously sloppy 1st-2nd gear shift I was experiencing. However, the added stiffness introduces some noise (which I have gotten used to) and vibration into the cabin noticeable only at idle after startup and during take off below ~1250 rpm.

Different people will have different opinions on what they consider acceptable added levels of NVH, but to me this mount doesn't make the car any harsher. Overall the car feels more solid and the mount makes rowing through the gears a lot more enjoyable and that is worth the added vibes at low RPMs. I would recommend this mount to anyone with a manual that would be willing to improve their driving experience with the added benefit/drawback of low impact massage at idle. That being said, I would not recommend this mount to those of you with an automatic transmission. The added NVH may not be acceptable since autos operate at lower RPMs so something like a Ford Focus Electric mount would be a better option.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.