2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got them in yesterday, installed them today. They aren't 100% perfect fitment, but pretty close. When installed, there's a slight gap between the radius of the body panel and the mud flap. You can decrease this gap by pushing the mud flap closer to the body while screwing in the self tapping screw. For $35 shipped, I'm satisfied.
Stock auction picture:

For the fronts I removed two of the wheel well retainer clip screws (I left in the expanding base) and positioned the mudflap over the holes, then put the screws back in along with the two self tapping screws at the corners.

Note the two self tapping screws at the far edges.

The rears were a little more misaligned, I loosened the bottom bolt and positioned the mudflap, then pushed it closer to the body and drove in the self tapping screw. This made the flap hug the body more and eliminated a bit of the gap.

Again, I think this was/is well worth the $35 it costs. You can't even tell there's a gap unless you're 2 feet from it. Functionally, I don't foresee any issues, but we'll see how it holds up over time. The only thing I'd recommend is heading to Lowes beforehand and grabbing some longer wheel well retaining screws. The only way I was able to install these ones were to separate the retaining screws, so the retainer was beneath the mudflap and the screw was above it. It's a tad short and not protruding all the way into the panel, so it's not expanding 100% and doesn't look as clean. I'll update this with a part number and some pictures to show you guys what I'm talking about after I get them.

UPDATE:

Rear:

Update (5/04/12):
The screws provided are NOT coated. They will rust! You can either spray them with something (black paint, clearcoat, etc) or grab some coated screws from a hardware store.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks good. I'm assuming these won't work if you have the side skirts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're a hard plastic, similar to OEM ones.
Taillights are tinted red and smoked as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, I've been looking for the flaps, but they're $133 for a set on eBay (OEM). Any chance for a close up of the gap and then a far away for overall look? I have a CWP too

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks good. I'm assuming these won't work if you have the side skirts?
I bought these for my MZ3 with side skirts. They were the same price and when I put the front ones against the side skirt, it looked like it would fit perfectly. I haven't installed them yet because I am taking the car back to the Mazda dealer to re-install the side skirts because when they installed them the first time, there are gaps and some clips are not fully inserted into the body of the car. But cant wait to install the flaps and see how it looks with the skirts on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anto, did you have to drill some holes for the front flaps? Also, did you just turn your wheels one at a time or did you have to take them off?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The screws are self tapping, I just pushed against the liner and screwed it in. For installation I just turned the steering wheel.

So far so good!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Rally Armor Mudflaps specifically made for my Mazda 3 hatch. I wouldnt suggest getting universal ones. I dont think they will look very good and may not install correctly.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
@MrSoozy if you wanna get RA mudflaps just save up for the urethane ones for our car. They look so fucking goooooooood. :stuart:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
lol im too cheap to drop over 100 on mudflaps haha
think i will be getting those over the summer and see how it goes, should end up being about 30 including shipping and hardware, can't help but being cheap as a college kid haha

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
lol im too cheap to drop over 100 on mudflaps haha
think i will be getting those over the summer and see how it goes, should end up being about 30 including shipping and hardware, can't help but being cheap as a college kid haha
Haha I didn't wanna spend the 140 bucks either but I just pinched pennies here and there. I think I ate ramen noodles for like 2 weeks straight. :tongue: but it was completely worth it. But if you get the universal ones let me know how they come out. Might get them as backups or something down the road if they look alright.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Haha I didn't wanna spend the 140 bucks either but I just pinched pennies here and there. I think I ate ramen noodles for like 2 weeks straight. :tongue: but it was completely worth it. But if you get the universal ones let me know how they come out. Might get them as backups or something down the road if they look alright.
haha i definitly will over the summer, almost finals now lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
This upcoming weekend I am planning on clay baring and waxing my car and then installing the mud flaps. I have side skirts on my Skyacitv sedan so I had to buy aftermarket ones from ebay that seem to fit well just by lining them up. I will post pictures once complete.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updated on longevity, so far so good BUT I would change out the factory screws, they rust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts