2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my windows tinted last Friday and I found out they scratched the outside of two of my windows in the process, probably when they were cutting the film (they look like thin razor cuts). They're really hard to see, and most people would never notice them, but under the right light I can make them out. If I run my fingernail across them slowly I can just barely feel them.

Does anybody have any experience with scratch repair? I heard from someone that toothpaste can get the scratches out. Fact or myth?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had my windows tinted last Friday and I found out they scratched the outside of two of my windows in the process, probably when they were cutting the film (they look like thin razor cuts). They're really hard to see, and most people would never notice them, but under the right light I can make them out. If I run my fingers across them slowly I can just barely feel them.

Does anybody have any experience with scratch repair? I heard from someone that toothpaste can get the scratches out. Fact or myth?
Toothpaste is an abrasive and can be used to get light scratches out of plastic, I don't know about glass.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
False

In order to cut down / buff out a scratch in glass, you need have a material that has a hardness greater than glass. I use SS scotch pads to clean my glass (steel in general is softer than glass). to correctly fix it you need diamond polishing paste

i have heard that using toothpaste can temporarily hide a light scratch in glass though, never tried that before.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. For the diamond polishing paste, do you need to use a buffer, or can you just hand-buff it in?

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Thanks guys. For the diamond polishing paste, do you need to use a buffer, or can you just hand-buff it in?
you can do it by hand, it is a real PITA though. if you own a corded /cordless drill, they make adapters to use them so you are not at it all day.

Reactions: SlyActiv
1 - 5 of 5 Posts