2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you guys live decently close to this, I *Highly* recommend it! What a blast this drive was! Even though i've rode the dragon about 4 or so times now, It's always fantastic everytime.

I have my dashcam video from it. I go varying speeds throughout the clip, so don't ask me exactly how fast I was going. However, Due to the nature of my dashcams recording (3 minute clips) and me manually splicing them together, sometimes the rear camera gets a bit out of sync. My apologies!

So this car is the 2.0. Only things done to it are much grippier tires and the resonator taken off the airbox.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Gg2SdCaa-w0

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The 1st weekend of May each year, MINIs gather there to take those 318 curves over the Dragon's breathtaking 11mi stretch.:)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
I've done The Dragon a few times in my old 2005 Mazda6 s. Lots of fun, but I'll admit that the 6 was a bit big for the road. A 3 is much better sized for the environs, I would think. Let's call it"fun sized". It's not an exaggeration to say you are busy for all 11 miles.

Concerning police presence, my experience was that they were watching more for centerline violations further up the mountain and speed at lower elevations. The crotch rocket crowd makes it seriously dangerous in places, as many turns are blind and you can find 18 inches of motorcycle across the line as you exit a corner. Early morning and late afternoon/early evening are the best times as traffic is much lighter. Patience and etiquette are essential and yet largely forgotten on that road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
The 1st weekend of May each year, MINIs gather there to take those 318 curves over the Dragon's breathtaking 11mi stretch.:)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
They usually hole up at Fontana Village. The pictures are pretty amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
What is the purpose of removing the resonator ?
That with a drop in filter gives you a little more noise that you would otherwise spend $150+ on in a SRI.
It's what I did to my 2.5 since the stock airbox is plenty, had the SRI on my 2.0 and got the confirmation that stock was more consistent when tuned when I was beginning mods on the new car.

@Mac289 I'm going up there in october! Doing that and the cherohala skykway and camping in the national park for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
The resonator is there for a reason. For the most part it eliminates a mid-range torque drop-off. The Helmholz resonator fixes the harmonics of the OEM intake so there is minimal reversion to impede air flow into the intake plenum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The resonator is there for a reason. For the most part it eliminates a mid-range torque drop-off. The Helmholz resonator fixes the harmonics of the OEM intake so there is minimal reversion to impede air flow into the intake plenum.
Hmm I thought that only mattered on the Exhaust side, Guess i'll put it back on and see. I did plug the hole so IDK.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the purpose of removing the resonator ?
Mainly for the sound and the tad quicker throttle response. The butt dyno didn't reveal any change other than a slightly quicker throttle response. Eventually I'll be getting an AEM Cold air intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts