2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got this car one of the things that annoyed me was the lack of lighting on the Lock and Window Buttons. I have the 2014 s Touring and it only has a light on the Driver Side Window Power button, unless the Lock switch light burnt out or something....

I decided to see if it might be possible to add some LED's / how difficult it was to take it apart, I had some trouble when I tryed a few months back, but I just bought a $15 trim removal kit which made it a bit easier....

EDIT: I'm not sure if my pictures are no longer working, maybe because minus.com reformatted and deleted free pictures.... guess I should have stuck with imgur... damn sorry, these links dont seem to work anymore http://i2.minus.com/idY5f25vBD2R5.jpg

Here's the pics:
(edit: here is the completed project, the rest of the pics are the same after this one)

The pic below whos that there is plenty of room to add an LED or two in those gaps, I'm thinking Red Leds, and it will just Glow in the background underneath the Power Window buttons....

I'll probably tap one of the wires from the bottom, not sure about it yet though, still need to read up on which wires do what from the manual.... I'm hoping I can get it to be on only when the headlights are on, and that there is some wire I can identify that relates to the single light in the Drive Power Window switch....

Anyway... Thought I'd post these for anyone else who isn't happy with the lighting on the window buttons... will post if I do more... :detective:

EDIT - Added pics from other post since this was Moved to the How-To Section:

......And how hard was it to remove the trim panel?
Removing the Trim panel was somewhat difficult, especially on the first try cause I wanted to be careful... now that I know how to do it, it will be much easier cause I know how I can move it without breaking it.

One tool that I think is essential, I just got it with a trim removal kit that I bought for $15 at advanced auto parts... Here is a picture of it, mine is labeled "Remover - Narrow Type" and its made of a strong grippy/rough kind of Plastic so you don't scratch the inside of your car:

I would be very careful using anything else, you need that thin 90 degree joint to help pry the bottom part of the Trim up.

Actually I still have the instructions to remove it all right here from the manual:

So that's pretty clear in those pics how the tool is used...

As far as which ones I will actually light up, I'm not so excited about having to cut open the stuff protecting the wires under the switches, cause I need to do that to get a wire tap, and then a ground cause I don't feel like running it into the main part of the car...

But if I actually do it, I'll probably do the drive side first, and if I like it, I'll do the passenger side next... I probably won't do the back part of the car cause it's rarely used.... :detective:

EDIT: more pics of wiring diagrams and stuff....

I just want Auto-Up/Dwn for both the Front Driver and Front Passenger Windows.
At least from the Driver's controls, the Passenger can have the usual button.
I wonder if you could just order a 2nd driver's side window button/switch and have it work if you installed it in place of the passenger one.
I'm not entirely sure if that is possible, I took a brief look at the wiring diagram. If you know how to read wiring diagrams, you might be able to see why....

Here is the diagram for the power window switches:

This is the current flow with the car on:

This is the Current flow with the Auto Power window button turned on:

You can see the switch labeled "Auto" next to the switch labeled "Open" the wires lead to that joint near the "Power Cut Switch" (The thing that locks the other windows)

The Auto switch comes directly out of the P/W CM (Power Window Control Module) which sends power separately to a relay that opens the window, The other switches for the rest of the windows, I believe are separate from the P/W CM based on the diagram, so you would either need ANOTHER control module to have an "Auto" passenger window, OR, there would have to be pre-built-in circuitry in the P/W CM that would allow you to use the Auto feature for another window other than the driver side....

I may be wrong.... doesn't look like it would be easy to change though....

----------EDIT: FINALLY FINISHED----------

I took the pics with flash so you could actually see the buttons:

The red glow is actually a bit bright right now, which is why I made the circuit with an inline resistor so I could easily switch it out later if I wanted them to be darker. Right now they draw about 16miliamps and they turn on when the car starts. (The light on the Auto button is always on in case you were wondering)

The lights were made from some LED strips that I cut up and soldered wires together on them.

There are 5 Leds in total, with quick disconnects on each end

Here are the Wires that were taped, if you want specifics just ask, The green one gives +12v when the car is on, the Black one is the Ground, there is no Ground cable that goes in to the connector with the green cable (although I later found out there was an equivalent to the green on the connector with the ground) Anyway, the wire taps are kinda big so having the space is nice.

Cutting the Electric tape was annoying... not too hard though...

I wire taped it with very short wires that have quick disconnects so I could easily remove the stuff later....

Also, the resistor for the LEDs is part of a separate wire with quick disconnects on it so that I could change the resistance later if the lights were to bright....

They actually are too bright right now, so I would probably change them later...

feel free to ask questions...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you think you will do this to all four doors or just the driver's door? And how hard was it to remove the trim panel?
Removing the Trim panel was somewhat difficult, especially on the first try cause I wanted to be careful... now that I know how to do it, it will be much easier cause I know how I can move it without breaking it.

One tool that I think is essential, I just got it with a trim removal kit that I bought for $15 at advanced auto parts... Here is a picture of it, mine is labeled "Remover - Narrow Type" and its made of a strong grippy/rough kind of Plastic so you don't scratch the inside of your car:

I would be very careful using anything else, you need that thin 90 degree joint to help pry the bottom part of the Trim up.

Actually I still have the instructions to remove it all right here from the manual:

So that's pretty clear in those pics how the tool is used...

As far as which ones I will actually light up, I'm not so excited about having to cut open the stuff protecting the wires under the switches, cause I need to do that to get a wire tap, and then a ground cause I don't feel like running it into the main part of the car...

But if I actually do it, I'll probably do the drive side first, and if I like it, I'll do the passenger side next... I probably won't do the back part of the car cause it's rarely used.... :detective:

·
Registered
141 Posts
You should have a passenger "no-touch" policy and save yourself some time. I've already banned passengers from touching my infotainment screen :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should have a passenger "no-touch" policy and save yourself some time. I've already banned passengers from touching my infotainment screen :)
I haven't had anyone try to touch it, I actually don't even touch it myself... no point really, with the commander knob and all the buttons..... I invite passengers to use that, if they wanna change the radio or look around in it... but they haven't really had the desire to mess with it much...

As far as the window buttons go which is what this thread is about.... that would kinda be silly to not allow them to open their window, and if I really wanted to I would just hit the Window Lock button... lol :devil: :rock 1: :ninja 1:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks Dimes2Dope for posting the instructions. I am thinking about using Blue LED's. I traded in a 2013 Mazda 3 GT and I was hoping the 2014 would have had similar accent lighting then the 2013. Mine had Blue accent LED's on the arm pulls of the front doors, never noticed if the rear doors had them and one pointing down from the overhead map lights that lit up the shift area, a real nice and classy touch. But I guess we can't have everything.

·
Registered
356 Posts

I wonder if you could just order a 2nd driver's side window button/switch and have it work if you installed it in place of the passenger one.

If it worked, it would fix your lighting issue too.
If you wanted the lights for all 4 controls, you'd just need 4 driver's window buttons/switches.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If it worked, it would fix your lighting issue too.
If you wanted the lights for all 4 controls, you'd just need 4 driver's window buttons/switches.
I'm not entirely sure if that is possible, I took a brief look at the wiring diagram. If you know how to read wiring diagrams, you might be able to see why....

Here is the diagram for the power window switches:

This is the current flow with the car on:

This is the Current flow with the Auto Power window button turned on:

You can see the switch labeled "Auto" next to the switch labeled "Open" the wires lead to that joint near the "Power Cut Switch" (The thing that locks the other windows)

The Auto switch comes directly out of the P/W CM (Power Window Control Module) which sends power separately to a relay that opens the window, The other switches for the rest of the windows, I believe are separate from the P/W CM based on the diagram, so you would either need ANOTHER control module to have an "Auto" passenger window, OR, there would have to be pre-built-in circuitry in the P/W CM that would allow you to use the Auto feature for another window other than the driver side....

Adding these pics and more to the OP... since this is in the How-to's now....

·
Registered
356 Posts

Didn't you have a few real-lift pics of what the Window Trim Panel looked like pulled out?

Okay, so I'm just trying to spit-ball here, think up possible solutions, and be hopeful that there is some way that this could potentially be an easy-ish modification. So here are a few things I'm wondering about that I think you could answer:

Is the P/W CM for the driver's window located in the door, or is it elsewhere?
I mean, if it is coupled at location with the driver's side window switch/button, I can see this being a lot more doable. But if it is just a small chip on a larger board that the rest of the car's electronics hooked up to it, we could be SOL.
Do you have any pics to identify it from the rest of the components in the door (if it is in the door)?
I'm just curious as to the size of it. If it doesn't consume a large profile space, maybe we could find a way to work it in (assuming it is not connected to a circuit board).

I feel as though we could always ghetto-rig (is this politically correct?) some lit-up auto switches using everything that is already board-side, and just keep all the modifications to the switches themselves.
Could you point out where in the diagram the Driver's Side switch receives power for it to light up when the headlights are turned on? ....or is that light always on? Going with a ghetto-rigged option, that's probably the only hard task you need to accomplish.
You could probably easily set up Auto functions with timers; they might not the best solution, but they would get the job done.
How much extra space is there inside the door?

How come we only have room for a water bottle in the door instead of having a slot-cubby space?

I've added a few images attached.
In the 1st pic, you can see that there is carbon fiber trim available for the interior door handle trim. In the 2nd pic alternatively, you see how they still have the piano black trim but they have added a plastic-looking chrome piece (it is aftermarket, not OEM). What I want you to notice is how this piece is added to the trim.

For an illumination solution, I feel as you could combine the ideas of the 2 pics above.
You make a new trim piece, but you leave a cutout around all the buttons where you could add a small clear piece of trim that you would put LEDs behind. It would just be a small fitting between each of the buttons and the trim itself. Personally, I love how the carbon fiber trim looks and I wouldn't ever want to cut into it, but it is an option.
You could also alternatively (rather than outline each of the buttons) just cut into the grooves for your fingers and illuminate the "finger wells" for the window controls. Nothing too bright, but subtle enough that it is noticeable when you are driving at night.

Idk, just some thoughts...

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't you have a few real-lift pics of what the Window Trim Panel looked like pulled out?

Okay, so I'm just trying to spit-ball here, think up possible solutions, and be hopeful that there is some way that this could potentially be an easy-ish modification. So here are a few things I'm wondering about that I think you could answer:

Is the P/W CM for the driver's window located in the door, or is it elsewhere?
I mean, if it is coupled at location with the driver's side window switch/button, I can see this being a lot more doable. But if it is just a small chip on a larger board that the rest of the car's electronics hooked up to it, we could be SOL.
Do you have any pics to identify it from the rest of the components in the door (if it is in the door)?
I'm just curious as to the size of it. If it doesn't consume a large profile space, maybe we could find a way to work it in (assuming it is not connected to a circuit board).

I feel as though we could always ghetto-rig (is this politically correct?) some lit-up auto switches using everything that is already board-side, and just keep all the modifications to the switches themselves.
Could you point out where in the diagram the Driver's Side switch receives power for it to light up when the headlights are turned on? ....or is that light always on? Going with a ghetto-rigged option, that's probably the only hard task you need to accomplish.
You could probably easily set up Auto functions with timers; they might not the best solution, but they would get the job done.
How much extra space is there inside the door?
lol, so I guess you didn't realize, The box thing that the window buttons are attached to IS the power window main switch, and it CONTAINS the PW C/M - You would have to take the whole thing apart, and I'm assuming there is a circuit board inside it that you would have to reconfigure to use the auto switch.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure there are specialized sensors connected to the Motor of the Driver side Window which are required for the Auto Window button to function correctly.

Here are pictures to identify the stuff:

Taking that thing apart would be a bitch, I couldn't even get the plugs off the back although I barely tried, pushing the tabs on the connectors didn't help....

Also, I confirmed the other day that the light on the window switch is ALWAYS on, regardless of headlights, parking lights or whatever...

As far as space inside the door, I don't know I added some pics that look down into it... but I only took out the window switch...

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is something I wrote about in the Mazda questionaire they emailed me to see how I like the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a very useful project. Thanks for the pictures.

However, while thinking about less intrusive methods to achieve some degree of improvement in the dark, I though of this - please don't laugh...

Would it be possible to get something like that:

Mix it up with something like clear epoxy and use this to put small accurate glow-in-the-dark markings on the buttons (small dots, for example, number of dots can be different for different buttons)?

Has anyone tried anything like that?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a very useful project. Thanks for the pictures.

However, while thinking about less intrusive methods to achieve some degree of improvement in the dark, I though of this - please don't laugh...

Would it be possible to get something like that:

Amazon.com: Glow Inc. Ultra Green V10 Glow in the Dark Powder 1/4 Ounce

Mix it up with something like clear epoxy and use this to put small accurate glow-in-the-dark markings on the buttons (small dots, for example, number of dots can be different for different buttons)?

Has anyone tried anything like that?
I actually considered it... I dunno how long it would last, although I think it would probably work... I just didn't want to deal with paints or any of that mess...

I have actually taken a few more steps to adding the lights.... I put them together got all the wires setup, but I tested it in my house the and light were in a bad position the first time (I removed the whole switch and unplugged the wires, and took it inside to position the LEDs)

I Think I may need some Clear/Foggy plastic or epoxy maybe, in certain locations, to spread the light out.... either that or better positioning, I gave up on it last night but I'll try another day...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sexy.

Are you planning on adding lights to the controls on the other doors?
I feel like it would be unbalanced if you didn't.

Symmetry is bliss lol.
I was thinking about it, it would probably be easier than the driver side, but still, it is a bitch to have to cut into the plastic and electric tape to get +12v and a ground, that's work I just don't feel like doing to add a single little LED to one window button....

I dunno, I may get around to it at some point, and if I do, it will only be the passenger side.... the back is not needed....

·
Registered
4 Posts
License plate lights change

Can anyone help me out on how to change my license plate bulbs on the 2014 mazda 3 gt hb? I wanna throw in some leds. Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts