2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@BearlyHere had a picture of his car in a window tint thread and his '3' was removed from the hatch. I previously removed my 'Skyactiv' badge and am now thinking about pulling the 3 off as well. What do you guys think? Does it look better with or without the '3' after 'Mazda'?

I really wish the Mazda plate didn't have holes. It would look so clean without 'Mazda 3' on the back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after 60+ views to my post and no replies I decided to pull the 3 off.

Here's a before picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here's an after picture.

I think it looks better without the 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Btw, does anybody know if the Axela badge ligns up with the holes?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking about it, but now that you mention the "MAZDA" badge has holes,I guess I'm not. "Mazda, Mazda" seems a little redundant to me.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sometimes a debadge can look good, sometimes it can look weird like something is missing, I think the gen3 would look the strangest.

I ran no badges for a while, front and rear, and it looked awfully ricey for some reason to me, it just looked off.

However, I painted the rear badges white, and I've been pretty happy with how they look for several years now.

Of course; you couldn't paint yours white, but a color match ... has a chance of looking okay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought about the Mazda Mazda thing if I removed the 3, but really it's Mazda's symbol or brand logo along with the word Mazda. That's how I look at it.

I do like the closer to OEM clean look, but some things just don't look right to me. Like my old Mazda 3 had these 2.3 badges on the doors. Really? Do we need to call out the engine size in chrome? So off they went.

A lot of non-car enthusiasts don't know a Lexus symbol from a Mazda or any other symbol for that matter. I've had a few co-workers (that fall in to that category) ask me in the parking lot what kind of car I have. Now it's just a Mazda to them. haha No longer a 3.

I really didn't like the Skyactiv badge. It didn't even match the Mazda badge. It was more brushed silver than fake chrome. Now that it's gone the car is easier to wax and I like the cleaner look.

@XCNuse - your car reminds me of my 2008 Mazda 3 hatch that was also white. I really like the white. I like the painted white badges too. Nice work!

·
Registered
975 Posts
That looks really nice. Is that plastidip?
Oh no, no plastidip, not on this car. Never.
Plastidip wasn't even around when I did that anyways lol. Not in colors and not in a spray can at least; back then it was just tool dip.

@dirtlvr yeah the white, I used to really hate it, whitewater pearl, but I've come to really love it.
On the plus side of the new skyactiv badge at least it isn't blue lol.. I quite like the newer looking badge.

Some people like a lot of chrome (it's easy to tell who haha).

After a day like today I hate badges. Had to remove badges from a chevy silverado 2500HD superduty today to do some vehicle graphics... I think I spent just as much time on removing the badges as I did anything else.

·
Kenpachi
52 Posts
I think it looks better with the 3 attached. Honestly it just doesn't look right with it off. It looks like alot of un-used space with only the "Mazda" sign on the back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I assume the 'Skyactive" badge comes off with the use of some fishing line or dental floss? Does it leave any glue residue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I assume the 'Skyactive" badge comes off with the use of some fishing line or dental floss? Does it leave any glue residue?
Yes, it comes off pretty easily. Let it sit in the sun for a bit, or hit it with a hair dryer to warm the double sided tape under it first. That makes it really simple to remove. I used doubled up dental floss. A tiny bit of tape was left on the car but I was able to push that into a ball with my thumb and pull it right off. You could leave it as is after this, but I went over the area with a little polish/cleaner and then gave it a fresh coat of wax. After that, you'd never know it was there, even under flurecent garage lights there is no trace.

Oh and I almost forgot..... Don't get tempted to pull up on the badge once you get half way through the tape with the floss. I made this mistake once. What happens is the edge opposite of the side you are lifting up on digs into the car and makes a nice scratch/ indentation in the paint. So be sure to go all the way through with the floss.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got my "Skyactive" badge off today, but I had a lot of tape left. Took some more heating and some Adhesive remover to get it off, but it looks great now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@cameroncat - Nice work! Glad to hear it worked out. That was the first thing I did to my car when I got it home. That badge just doesn't look right on the car and it doesn't match the others.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am totally debadged in the rear with an Evil M. I love the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I am totally debadged in the rear with an Evil M. I love the look.
You sedan owners are lucky in that your 'Mazda' badge has no locator holes in the trunk lid. The hatchbacks have two holes and the badge has pins that go in the holes.

Nice looking car, great work!

Reactions: leela222
1 - 20 of 21 Posts