2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it has literally been a year I think since I last logged in. But to my question..

About to get an oil change, but i am sitting at 28,000 miles. "Mazda" recommends there 25k-30k service... which is only 800 dollars!!!!

It has a long list which can be read here

So much of it I am not really sure is necessary.. and I wish i had the time, tools, and place to simply do it myself, but I don't.

So what is the consensus? Are you guys doing this?

·
Registered
243 Posts
At 25-30K service, at minimum, I would: change oil, rotate tires , replace cabin air filter, replace engine air filter, change out MT fluid, and flush brake fluid.

Since I enjoy tinkering with cars, I would spend the majority of $800 fee to purchase the tools and materials and finish the job myself... However, if you don't have the time and the tool, and most importantly, the desire to perform DIY, then go to a shop or to a dealer.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Those services are over rated and over priced. Just keep doing your regular maintenance and you'll be fine. All they do is look over fluid levels and check wear items which you can easily do yourself with 2 hands, a pair of eyes and a flashlight

·
Registered
172 Posts
They want $800 for inspections that should take like 30 mins and to tighten a few bolts? wtf? Even at dealer prices I expected this to be $200-300.

If my dealer wants anywhere close to that I will just inspect myself and be done with it. sspak9 pretty much listed all the essential things you need to have done around then (and certainly is all I plan to have done).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They want $800 for inspections that should take like 30 mins and to tighten a few bolts? wtf? Even at dealer prices I expected this to be $200-300.

If my dealer wants anywhere close to that I will just inspect myself and be done with it. sspak9 pretty much listed all the essential things you need to have done around then (and certainly is all I plan to have done).
So I think actually its the dealer reccomended service that they were pushing..

some of the things that stuck out to me were all of the above and spark plugs.. wires.. i think even inspecting fuel injectors .. and some others..

When should we change out the plugs??

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My last Mazda was a 2000 Protege, 172k and i just did normal maintenance stuff. Oil and filters, check the brakes and belts and antifreeze every few years, spark plugs and wires at 50k. that's it. I'll do the same for my 2011. Never went by the books schedule, but you may feel better doing it that way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So I think actually its the dealer reccomended service that they were pushing..

some of the things that stuck out to me were all of the above and spark plugs.. wires.. i think even inspecting fuel injectors .. and some others..

When should we change out the plugs??

Thanks!
Well, no, no, and no again to all that stuff lol.

Manual lists (at least for my sckyactiv model, you can check yours specifically on their website) for 75K for spark plugs (I would probably do wires at same time) or 60K if driven in lots of short driving or idling.

Unless you're a pizza delivery guy or a taxi driver in your 3, I highly doubt you see any benefit from changing plugs at 25K. Dealer just trying to rip you off with excessive maintenance.

As for fuel injectors it would be highly unusual for one to go out at such a mileage (in fact it is unusual when they go out at all) ..seeing how you have a non-skyactiv motor I see no reason these would be needing inspected this early. At least the skyactiv models have a newer high-pressure fuel injector which may have somewhat unknown long-term reliability and be worth inspecting. Just seems like dealer trying to make free $$ to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 78k miles and I have not taken it to the dealership once except for a 4 wheel alignment around 60k when I had swapped out the OE Toyo tires(which was $59.99 with an online coupon). I have done all of the maintenance myself by following the schedule Mazda recommends and the only major things I have done have been the cabin filter, air filter, drain and fill the transmission every 30k(which is not even on the schedule but I do it anyways for peace of mind) and spark plugs. The dealer can kiss my a$$ especially at $104 per hour(the cheapest I found locally).

BTW I just had my fresh air actuator replaced in less than an hour and only cost me about $96 for the part and tools which the cheapest dealer wanted $311 for the job (which they said would take at least 2 hours).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts