2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gonna need at least two new tires pretty soon, I've only put about 8000 miles on my 3 s Touring since December; but PA has tons of pot holes.....

I got a tire rotation with my first oil change, and right now my back right tire has a HUGE bubble on the side, and the back left tire needs to be filled with air almost everyday since it sets off the tire air pressure monitor, I'm not sure if there is a nail in it or what....

I don't really know a damn thing about tires, I still have stock rims, and I don't plan on changing anything too soon, so I just want to know if it really matters what tires I go with?? or are their brands I should avoid?

I remember people giving Dunlop some shit for being crummy or something, I dunno, I lose traction but the roads are covered in salt from snowy days.....

While I'm waiting to get new tires, should I use "fix a flat" to patch the leak in my back left tire??

It says on the Air Can that if I have a tire Pressure sensor, I need to tell the Car shop to clean it when they replace the tire, will that cost a lot? or is it not a big deal??

If I could get another week out of this tire by using the fix a flat thing, I would be happy, but I don't want to have to pay a bunch for them to clean the sensor. (The Can says it is Pressure Sensor Safe, so it wont hurt it but it needs to be cleaned off...)

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
If you have a pair of dead tires, I would go ahead and buy a new pair. A bubbled sidewall cannot be repaired. If you are not modding your car, just buy a pair of OEM-spec tires and you won't have any strange traction balance problems that could otherwise come up.

Granted, the OEM tires for our car are terrible. If you have the money to do so, now would be the time to swap to some quality high-performance all-seasons and treat yourself to better ride quality, noise and grip. Every brand makes good and bad street tires except the Chinese and Pirelli, which make only meh and bad.

Reactions: Dimes2Dope

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You don't have a sensor in the tire so don't worry about that. I agree with @color0 that most brands make good tires. If you get better tires with more grip and only buy two of them, make sure to put them on the back and not the front. You don't want the back end to break loose if you are stopping quickly while turning the wheel. If you only buy two, you are better off buying OEM tires and not the real good ones. If you get all 4, go for the good ones. Again, as Color0 says, stay away from Chinese tires. Pirelli's used to be good, but they are not the best anymore. Michelin, Continental, and believe it or not, Hankook high performance tires are very good but you'll not go wrong with the better tires made by other manufacturers. Also take into account where you will be driving. If you are driving where there is snow and ice, I personally favor the Continental DWS for a balance between traction and low noise. If you are in a temperate area, I personally like the new Hankook Ventus Noble but the Michelin's are also excellent. These tires are a bit more pricey and unless you're putting very high miles on the car, they are worth it. I've had Continentals, Goodyear Eagles, Michelin's, Pirelli's, Kumho's, Yoko's and Hankook's in the past and since I don't race my cars, the Hankooks gave me the best overall performance because I like a very quiet tire. If I was going only for best performance, it would probably be the Michelins. There is no reason, even if you go with all four tires, that you should move to a different size. However, if you want a slightly larger size, you could move to a 225. You shouldn't go larger than that with your 7" rims, however.

·
Registered
124 Posts
except the Chinese and Pirelli, which make only meh and bad.
...wait, what?? I've had two sets of Pirelli (P-Zero Nero & P6s) both were phenomenal! Had tons of traction, and the wear wasn't ridiculous. Only down side was that the P6s were noisy, apart from that, best tires I've ever had.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Continental extreme contacts are very popular. Most everyone loves them.
Also I'm a fan of Cooper tires. Have always put them on my cars

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You don't have a sensor in the tire so don't worry about that.
Oh we don't? So its safe to use that fix a flat stuff for now before a get a new tire?

how does the tire pressure get checked anyway / where is the sensor for that matter?

I've been trying to look through the manual to find it but no luck yet...

EDIT: Never mind, I found it

Here's a pic of what it says in the manual, apparently it uses the ABS sensors.... way to save money I guess...

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
...wait, what?? I've had two sets of Pirelli (P-Zero Nero & P6s) both were phenomenal! Had tons of traction, and the wear wasn't ridiculous. Only down side was that the P6s were noisy, apart from that, best tires I've ever had.
That you like them doesn't mean they're the best this planet has to offer, lol. I raced an E93 (edit -- not 92) M3 on those Pzero Neros and won -- said M3 melted its front tread trying to keep up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That you like them doesn't mean they're the best this planet has to offer, lol. I raced an E93 (edit -- not 92) M3 on those Pzero Neros and won -- said M3 melted its front tread trying to keep up.
Ah no I'm not saying they're the best on the planet either, but say they are "meh" surprises me. Mind you, I've only ever used my tires for street use and have yet to clock any track time whatsoever.

Besides, just because an M3 melted his front treads might mean he was over breaking and overdoing it on the track.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've got Pirelli P7s on and they ride great! Quiet and corner a well as I need. They're made in Mexico I believe.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I had Pirelli P-Zero's on a Porsche and replaced them with Hankooks. Two of the 4 Pirelli's had manufacturing defects but the Hankooks were quieter, wore better, and performed just as well. Years ago I used Yoko A008's (racing tires) on a Porsche and they stuck better than anything I've ever used but only lasted 8,000 miles. Pirelli's used to be fantastic. I don't know what's happened to them lately.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I'll add that my grandfather had 3 pirelli tires that came apart on the outer edge of his camry.
He was pissed because they were so expensive and fell apart.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yup , remember back in the 80's there was a series of tires would grip like h-- for cornering and run at least 10-15 mph faster on wet pavement before hydroplaning and wore great but not cheap. They were either Firestone or Goodyear , who you don' t hear much of anymore. Went all year round with these...... Next best thing in winter were snow/ice tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts