2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I will be inevitably directed to the fitment guide thread (though it only gives info for 1st and 2nd gens), but can I put 225/55/16 tires on my stock rims? It seems that the rim width is enough, 6.5 inches, and the diameter of the wheel will be close to stock, but will there be any problems due to the increased width? Anyone running this size? Thanks! It's just there is so few fun tires in the 205/60/16 size...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
225 is too wide for 6.5 width wheel
225 is better for 7-8" width
Would 215/55/16 be better? I liked the 225/55 option better because the outer diameter would be about the same as stock, while the 215/55 have a tad smaller outer diameter (by about 1.4% if the tire calculator is correct)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Get some wider rims and do it the right way.
205 and 215 won't make much difference plus your messing with tire ratio.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get some wider rims and do it the right way.
205 and 215 won't make much difference plus your messing with tire ratio.
I guess I will have to. Freaking sucks that Mazda had to go with such an oddball tire size. All I can find in that size are low rolling resistance all season tires and such :(

·
Registered
343 Posts
I guess I will have to. Freaking sucks that Mazda had to go with such an oddball tire size. All I can find in that size are low rolling resistance all season tires and such :(
They have over 25 tires in that size. Just go to TireRack and you will see over 25 choices for the 205/60R16 tire and that is just for Grand Touring. If you go to other categories then the choices will increase.

The wider the tire the greater the rolling resistance and the lower the MPG you will get.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
343 Posts
But as soon as you filter out all the all seasons and winter tires, you're left with 2 :)
I didn't know you were looking for summer only performance tires. Why would you want to install summer only tires on the car? It's expensive and you have to swap out the tires every season.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't know you were looking for summer only performance tires. Why would you want to install summer only tires on the car? It's expensive and you have to swap out the tires every season.
It never snows where I live so an all season tire is totally pointless for me. I'm aware that summer tires tend to wear more, and I am ok with that, i had summer only tires on my old car. Looks like I would have to go with different rims, though I do like how the stock ones look....I did however have 215s on a 6.5 wide rim on my previous car with no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts