2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I just ordered some custom Work Seeker CX wheels 18x9 +38.

I want to do a subtle stretched tire look for when I camber and lower my car.

Was thinking about -1.5 degrees of camber, and dropping my car on coilovers to get that hella flush look.

Please give me some suggestions on appropriate tire sizes! Thanks

:newhere:

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Hey guys

I just ordered some custom Work Seeker CX wheels 18x9 +38.

I want to do a subtle stretched tire look for when I camber and lower my car.

Was thinking about -1.5 degrees of camber, and dropping my car on coilovers to get that hella flush look.

Please give me some suggestions on appropriate tire sizes! Thanks

:newhere:
In case you have not realized this, you might need to do some work to make those fit, especially if you are planning on lowering.
As for size, if you want a little "stretched" look, 225s will be a bit stretched but not bad. A 225/40 - 18 might work.
Thats a big heavy wheel for this car. Not going to perform or ride as well as it did before....

·
*The Electrician*
964 Posts
all that extra rotational mass ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know that going wider is going to make it harder to fit, but my car comes stock with 18s so the diameter shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I spoke with the dealer that sold me my wheels, and I have also spoke with Work about the sizing and fitment of my car. They both told me that the wheels will fit, with a little bit of poke and that I would most likely need to roll my fenders.

I'm building this Mazda to a show car so I'm too worried about performance unless it's going to be a serious downgrade, which I don't believe it will be..

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
In case you have not realized this, you might need to do some work to make those fit, especially if you are planning on lowering.
As for size, if you want a little "stretched" look, 225s will be a bit stretched but not bad. A 225/40 - 18 might work.
Thats a big heavy wheel for this car. Not going to perform or ride as well as it did before....
225 on a 9" wide wheel:surprise: I don't think they would stretch. The minimum tire width would be 235 and the ideal would be either 245 0r 255. Going to have to roll those fenders with that wide of tire on a lowered car but sure would look good with all that meat.

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
225 on a 9" wide wheel:surprise: I don't think they would stretch. The minimum tire width would be 235 and the ideal would be either 245 0r 255.

225s will work fine. As a matter of fact some 225s list 9" as the maximum rim width.
A couple minutes searching and I found this -
225/40-18 on a 9.5" rim
9" rims would give just a bit of a stretch as requested

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
225s will work fine. As a matter of fact some 225s list 9" as the maximum rim width.
A couple minutes searching and I found this -
225/40-18 on a 9.5" rim
9" rims would give just a bit of a stretch as requested

Don't know where you get your data from but good luck stretching a 225 onto a 9 inch wide rim. I'm running a 225 on the stock 7.5 18inch wheel. Here is a wheel chart for you.

Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
From TireRack-

The tire chart in that link only outlines what size tires to use on what rims to meet dimensions according to industry standards.
Narrow tires are mounted on wide rims all the time. Thats why its called "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g"....

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
From TireRack-

The tire chart in that link only outlines what size tires to use on what rims to meet dimensions according to industry standards.
Narrow tires are mounted on wide rims all the time. Thats why its called "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g"....[/QUOT
Good luck on "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g" that tire.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I give it to you that you can stretch a tire and the pros of stretching are it looks good but the cons definitely out weigh the pros as tire stretching isn’t good for your tires’ longevity. Stretching places undue stress on the tire sidewall and bead and can cause premature and irregular tire tread wear, particularly if you have an aggressive camber setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts