2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my Mazda3 stock tires rotated at the dealer tomorrow, $10 was more than fair. I know that the rear tires are moved to the front, but does it matter if the left/ rights are swapped? I'm assuming that's the best way to go.

Should the tires be removed from wheels and rotated, or is it OK to just rotate the wheel/ tire as a unit?

·
Registered
290 Posts
you're simply supposed to rotate the wheels/tires as stated in the manual
rear wheels move to the front, and the front wheels are crossed and moved to the back

There is no need to actually remove and remount the tires from the wheels

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Valor_X, I should know that by now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
interesting...........

i'm told that front should go to back on same side, then back to front, on same side

repeat until new tyres bought

apparently (so i'm told) a tyre becomes accustomed to the side they are on and if moved to the other side, they rotate the other way, and this can cause issues

only what i heard from my mechanic...........

·
Registered
422 Posts
Personally I never rotate tires on a front wheel drive car. Rotating tires is needed when you have a rear wheel drive car because your power wheel is a single back passenger side.

For a front wheel car, if you leave the back wheels alone, they will usually last 2-3 times the fronts. So you are only buying 2 tires at a time usually.

And I have also had issues with flipping sides and now having the steel belts rotating in the other direction.

But there are many who still strongly believe in tire rotations. .... and 3,000 mile oil changes... so each to their own :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
When belted radials were first introduced in the US there was a general admonition against switching them from side-to-side. It had something to do with the design or construction of the tires, and once they take a "set" on one side, they should stay on that side. There was no such restriction with the old, established bias tire construction.

Nowadays I don't see that warning any more. The rotation patterns I see now include the switch-side procedure among the several possibilities. So, that's what I do.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I rotate my tires at least every 8,000KM (5,000 miles)... I watch / measure the wear when I check my tire pressure (frequent :) and rotate sooner if needed... tires stay very evenly wearing for their life. Depending how hard your driving and corners around your travels one tire can take a really beating... for me that wold be drivers front ;)

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
167 Posts
It is like the old saying, six of one and half a dozen of the other. I rotate only if the tires are the same size all around, which isn't the case on my Sy. I have 225's on the front and 315's on the rear. If you don't rotate the tires, the drive tires RWD/FWD will wear out quicker than none drive tires. So, if your tires last 50K when rotated and none rotated drive tires last 25K, the amount spent is the same. If you don't rotate, at least inspect the tires often. The world won't end of you don't rotate.

·
Registered
422 Posts
A while ago I sat down and crunched some numbers and jotted down my results. I didn't save the actual numbers and some of the things our estimates but my notes state....

Not Rotating requires the back pair to last at least two of the front. With Rotating requires that you get 30% - 50% more mileage when replacing all four tires (as long as you get $70 discount)

... by the $70 discount I'm referring to my local tire shops always have a sale of some sort along the lines of a $70 rebate or buy 3 tires get one free.

So basically if you are not getting a significant discount to buy 4 tires at once and you're not getting 30 to 50% more mileage out of each tire then rotating them and wearing them evenly is not worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts