2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do they recommend 215x45r18 (stock size) on every 18x8 wheels, at least the ones I looked at. That's a minimum size recommended for an 8" wheel and seems to be stretchy. I wonder if their recommendation based on the car or the wheels' size.

Anyone has this combo can comment on the ride?

Thx

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
I'm not sure why they do that, but it probably has do do with vehicle make and model if that is what you used as search parameters. 215s are fine though. Usually that size will give you the best outright performance. A slight stretch will make for minimum sidewall roll and keep more tread face on the road when cornering hard. However, ride quality won't be as good. Wider tires will allow the sidewall to flex more to soak up bumps. 225s or even 235s will work for a daily driver.
Are you looking for tires, wheels, both?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am not sure yet, depends on if I can sell my wheels or with tires. I am just looking for my options while waiting to work on the fsb. I really don't mind the look of stock wheels but my excuse for new wheels is their weight :) and I like dark wheels. If I can sell the tires, too, I'll go with 225x45.

Just got response from Tire Rack too. Their recommendation was based on the car. I guess they want to play it safe and keep the overall diameter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts