2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. I bought a 2010 2.5, 6mt sedan for DD and autocross. I'm at the point of tires now that I have done RSB and shocks (Koni yellows). (yeah, I know it is usually the other way around)

The stock size is 205/50x17. I'm contemplating going down to 205/45x17 or 215/45x17 (if my factory rims are wide enough). Something on the line of Bridgestone RE-11A's.

A more distant option is to get a set of 16" wheels to drop the unsprung weight and get more revs in 2nd gear.

Any suggestions? I will be at the WDCR SCCA event at Fedex this Sat. H stock.

Thanks,

steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE11's are very nice for autocross, go for it.
May do that, thanks, but I still wonder if I shouldn't go down to smaller diameter tires maybe on aftermarket 16x7 wheels to get more revs in 2nd for some of those sharp turns in autocross.

·
Registered
296 Posts
2nd gear on the 2.5L 6 speed MT is already fairly short (sub 60 mph I believe) so going to a shorter wheel tire setup isn't as advantages as it is with the 1st gen 2.0L/2.3L 5 speed MT cars from a gearing perspective.

The BFG Rival and the Hankook RS3 (Version 2) seem to be very popular right now on the autocross street tire scene.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can vouch for the Hankooks. Very solid tires for the price. They don't quite have the sharpness of the RE11's or the *Specs, but they're close. I did a handful of AutoX's with them and the car usually hits its limits before the tires do. This was on an '04 Impreza.

Personally, I'm going with the K110 evo's because they're selling for $59/each at Tirerack and they've been adequate so far on my CRZ. For $50 more, I could probably splurge for the Advans, but I never ran Yokohamas before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm using 215/45/17 BFG Rivals (shorter/wider) on a 17x7 (same as OEM). The gearing is very short, at a smidge over 50..., but if I'd gotten the 225s I'm sure I'd be rolling them over even more than the 215s. They are amazing compared to factory-like all seasons though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should also contemplate what the tire size will do to your gearing. I always use the following site to check on that before making any kind of purchase.

Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing

You may want to go with a different size tire to change what speed your gears get to, or you may want to stay stock-ish. This'll help you with that.

My experience is that the RS3s want heat, and lots of it. The Dunlop Z2s are better if you're in cooler climes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts