2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
224 Posts
To go bigger you have to get new wheels. I'm retired, on a fixed income, so that doesn't work. I couldn't get different low profiles because I replaced them two at a time because of the timing of the incidents.
Not really -- the 7 inch wide wheel can take up to 225 width tires (no wider though) - so I was able to get a slightly wider tire, with slightly more sidewall, and keep my OEM wheels. It's a minuscule difference really, but every bit helps and that 225/45R18 size opens up some really great tire options that blow away the Dunlops standard on Gen 3's or the Toyo/Bridgestones on Gen 4's.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda3 Sport GT
1 Posts
I have had to replace 3 tires in 4 months that I have owned my new 2019 Mazda 3 preferred model, and all on the driver front. All of it happened on New Jersey major highways with one time we know we hit a pothole. Perhaps the Toyo tires that come from Mazda or the profile size are a bad selection. I like the car but I just don't see how I can spend over $200 and 4-8 hours every month. I have owned and driven many different cars over 40 years on the same roads and never had a blowout. The dealers advise me that I can not use non-low-profile tires, even with RIM change, so I don't know what to do, except to get rid of the car. I am never buying a Mazda or any other car with low profile tire again.

Anyone have similar issue or any advice?

Thanks.
Just want to add that my 2020 Mazda3 Sport GT had the same issue recently. It was probably a pothole in downtown Toronto that did it but it was quite the surprise given that the car and tires have such low mileage. But I guess you can only smash those bad boys so hard. It still is a bit disappointing. I wasn't driving fast and sometimes you cannot avoid a hole in a crowded, big city.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD 2.5G
281 Posts
Just want to add that my 2020 Mazda3 Sport GT had the same issue recently. It was probably a pothole in downtown Toronto that did it but it was quite the surprise given that the car and tires have such low mileage. But I guess you can only smash those bad boys so hard. It still is a bit disappointing. I wasn't driving fast and sometimes you cannot avoid a hole in a crowded, big city.
This is my first time having a car with 18s and such thin tires. I've had three sidewall bubbles on different tires. Buying new ones in the spring, using winter tires on aftermarket 16s for now. I'll know for sure if the ones I replace them with also have this issue or not. Haven't decided what summer tires to get but for sure not the Toyos.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts