2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had to replace 3 tires in 4 months that I have owned my new 2019 Mazda 3 preferred model, and all on the driver front. All of it happened on New Jersey major highways with one time we know we hit a pothole. Perhaps the Toyo tires that come from Mazda or the profile size are a bad selection. I like the car but I just don't see how I can spend over $200 and 4-8 hours every month. I have owned and driven many different cars over 40 years on the same roads and never had a blowout. The dealers advise me that I can not use non-low-profile tires, even with RIM change, so I don't know what to do, except to get rid of the car. I am never buying a Mazda or any other car with low profile tire again.

Anyone have similar issue or any advice?

Thanks.
I drive the NJ turnpike from the Delaware bridge to Piscataway 8 times a month. I've been fortunate so far. But, turnpike isn't bad. I295 and the GSP are a whole different story. That gas tax was supposed to pay for renovations to those roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thinking similar, but changing the aspect ratio, not width. Going from 215/45 18 to 215/50 18.
From looking at tire specs, the new diameter would only be an inch or so bigger, and an online calculator shows the speedometer would only be 2mph off at like 70mph. I could live with that.
Figuring even that minor 1-2 inches in sidewall might help. Tire Rack shows a fewer options in that size however, so manufacturer choices are a bit more limited. I don't know if it would be noticable in ride/handling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Without knowing what actually caused the flat tires, there is no answer. You can't blame the car if you can't avoid potholes... The car is designed to use the rims and tires that were on it when you bought it. Many hundreds of thousands of people drive on these types of tires every day without issue. How is it possible that "you" aren't able use low profile tires?
The other question is did you not get the road hazard warranty on the tires when you bought the car? This is why the dealers provide this service......
Meant to reply earlier but here goes… Arathol the dealers provide this “service” to make money! That occasionally one can retrospectively decide that they should’ve gotten a extended warrantee or a protection plan like this is rare. It is usually a wise decision to forgo that after sale stuff which is generally known as overpriced insurance. I suppose that if you buy this insurance all the time every once in a while it will end up being the right decision.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Meant to reply earlier but here goes… Arathol the dealers provide this “service” to make money! That occasionally one can retrospectively decide that they should’ve gotten a extended warrantee or a protection plan like this is rare. It is usually a wise decision to forgo that after sale stuff which is generally known as overpriced insurance. I suppose that if you buy this insurance all the time every once in a while it will end up being the right decision.
Yeah, I know that....but if you live in a place such as New Jersey where you know the roads are terrible the warranty is not a bad thing.....I think it was $500 when I bought my car. Not a lot of money compared to having to replace 3 or 4 tires and maybe a rim or two if the potholes on the Turnpike are bad enough.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
155 Posts
Im in Toronto and im on 16" in the winter and summer on 17' ... I do run very good rubber for both. Summer only only for summer and an excellent winter rubber for the low low temp traction.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Interesting idea. Other than a very slight speedometer reading difference are there any other downsides?
No downsides that I can tell. The really big upside, every tire store has this size in stock across a breadth of choices so you aren't having to always order the tire you want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, I know that....but if you live in a place such as New Jersey where you know the roads are terrible the warranty is not a bad thing.....I think it was $500 when I bought my car. Not a lot of money compared to having to replace 3 or 4 tires and maybe a rim or two if the potholes on the Turnpike are bad enough.
Just wondering, because actuaries always determine the cost of such insurance is with an eye toward profit, whether or not that warranty is limited... I’ve gone through three tires and one rim at a cost of about $1100. I wonder if they would’ve covered all of that and more going forward. Also, despite living on Long Island where the parkways are a mess, I never would have considered need for such a warranty as over hundreds of thousands of miles in 50 years of driving the same roads, nor was I offered one. I have never had a pothole puncture or rim damage. These 18 inch Toyos are a nasty revelation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In January, I hit a large pothole and it caused the OEM Toyo front left tire of my 2019 Mazda 3 hatch to bubble up (see pic attached). I replaced it with a replacement Toyo tire - same as OEM. Also, I checked the tire pressure for the first time since I got the car in March 2019 and all 4 tires were overinflated, ranging from 38 to 42. So I deflated all of them to the recommended pressure of 36. From this point, all was going to be fine with the tires. Earlier this month, the Toyo front right tire went flat from a puncture (attached). Perhaps deflating the tires from their overinflated state could have played a role in getting a puncture more easily? Anyways, I had had enough of Toyo tires as this point. So I replaced all of them at Costco with 18" 215/45 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ for $750, including installation. This was on recommendation of the manager of the tire department, who mentioned the Toyo tires were crap. So hopefully, no more issues with tires on the Mazda 3 hatch!

Attachments

41 - 48 of 48 Posts