2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to replace 3 tires in 4 months that I have owned my new 2019 Mazda 3 preferred model, and all on the driver front. All of it happened on New Jersey major highways with one time we know we hit a pothole. Perhaps the Toyo tires that come from Mazda or the profile size are a bad selection. I like the car but I just don't see how I can spend over $200 and 4-8 hours every month. I have owned and driven many different cars over 40 years on the same roads and never had a blowout. The dealers advise me that I can not use non-low-profile tires, even with RIM change, so I don't know what to do, except to get rid of the car. I am never buying a Mazda or any other car with low profile tire again.

Anyone have similar issue or any advice?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Without knowing what actually caused the flat tires, there is no answer. You can't blame the car if you can't avoid potholes... The car is designed to use the rims and tires that were on it when you bought it. Many hundreds of thousands of people drive on these types of tires every day without issue. How is it possible that "you" aren't able use low profile tires?
The other question is did you not get the road hazard warranty on the tires when you bought the car? This is why the dealers provide this service......

·
Registered
177 Posts
While I have not heard many complain about blowouts, the tires on our new Mazdas are cheep. My primary complaint is how quickly they loose air pressure. I will get rid of them early.

I think the dealer has given you bad information. I have 205 60R 16 winter tires on my 19 AWD Preferred without problem. The diameter is nearly identical to the tires that came on the car. Many people downsize their wheels for winter.

Arathol: Can you try to be a little nicer to the new members? Have you driven on New Jersey (or Pennsylvania for that matter) roads?

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
While I have not heard many complain about blowouts, the tires on our new Mazdas are cheep. My primary complaint is how quickly they loose air pressure. I will get rid of them early.

I think the dealer has given you bad information. I have 205 60R 16 winter tires on my 19 AWD Preferred without problem. The diameter is nearly identical to the tires that came on the car. Many people downsize their wheels for winter.

Arathol: Can you try to be a little nicer to the new members? Have you driven on New Jersey (or Pennsylvania for that matter) roads?
Try reading a little more carefully next time.....
The dealer is telling this guy he can't use low profile tires when many thousands of people do it every day. Why do you find it such a problem to ask the reason for this?
Does everybody in New Jersey get flat tires on a monthly basis? If they do, are the cars to blame? The Turnpike must be lined with disabled cars on a daily basis...... :rolleyes:
Would you get rid of your car just because you got a flat tire? If you know the roads are that bad, you need to be a bit more attentive and make a concerted effort to avoid potholes and such.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealers advise me that I can not use non-low-profile tires
he dealer is telling this guy he can't use low profile tires

Well, the dealer told him that he can not use non-low-profile tires. I say just post online and trade your 18" rims with someone who has a 16" set as he might want to upgrade.

You would get a ~25% increase in tire sidewall if you move to the 16" onces.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yea I blew a tire on a pothole this winter. $300cad... Expeeeensive ass cheap tires...

Also the toyo proxes do lose air considerably faster than even the GT Radials (Chinese tire) I ran on my old 6.

Deffs downsizing for the next winter and will probs swap out the toyos as their grip becomes non-existent in the rain.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you either misunderstood the dealer (maybe you were asking if you could put non-low profile tires on your factory rims?) or the information was wrong, but to start there is a specific forum for tires/wheels, and rather than posting a rant about this issue (I'm never gonna buy a Mazda again, I got a flat!) you should have read the existing posts from some of our urban/city drivers who switched over to 16" wheels due to pothole issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have found that dealers often say that the only thing acceptable is how the vehicle was manufactured. I am not surprised that they would say "I can not use non-low-profile tires". The reality is that 16 inch rims with the appropriate size tire will work great and will help reduce the possibility of a blowout when hitting a pothole.

I also wonder if the tire pressure is set too high causing the increased blowout issue. I believe they ship the cars with 50 pounds of pressure and the dealer is supposed to reduce it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Low-profile tires have a much shorter sidewall and there is less cushion to absorb impact from potholes or curbs.
Lower profile tires should be inflated to a higher pressure since there is less distance from the tread to the rim. Hitting any large pothole or obstacle can damage your rim. So if you are on low profiles i would avoid potholes like the plague or caronavirus. As for OEM Toyo on mazda ... they are not best or the worst.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Without knowing what actually caused the flat tires, there is no answer. You can't blame the car if you can't avoid potholes... The car is designed to use the rims and tires that were on it when you bought it. Many hundreds of thousands of people drive on these types of tires every day without issue. How is it possible that "you" aren't able use low profile tires?
The other question is did you not get the road hazard warranty on the tires when you bought the car? This is why the dealers provide this service......
Thanks, I did end up buying a warrant. Cost was high - $625, but I felt I had no choice. It is kind of hard to avoid small potholes on the road. There ae too many, but I never had a problem with all the cars I owned with regular tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks, it is great to know that you can put the 60R tires. So, did you change the RIM from 18 to 16. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer is telling this guy he can't use low profile tires when many thousands of people do it every day. Why do you find it such a problem to ask the reason for this?
Does everybody in New Jersey get flat tires on a monthly basis? If they do, are the cars to blame? The Turnpike must be lined with disabled cars on a daily basis...... :rolleyes:
Would you get rid of your car just because you got a flat tire? If you know the roads are that bad, you need to be a bit more attentive and make a concerted effort to avoid potholes and such.
The dealers - more than one told me that various things will be off (speedometer, suspension, TPMS, etc.). And yes, it is hard to avoid potholes on NJ roads, and I do see now and then many expensive cars with low profiles tires with flats, and the AAA guys confirm the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Low-profile tires have a much shorter sidewall and there is less cushion to absorb impact from potholes or curbs.
Lower profile tires should be inflated to a higher pressure since there is less distance from the tread to the rim. Hitting any large pothole or obstacle can damage your rim. So if you are on low profiles i would avoid potholes like the plague or caronavirus. As for OEM Toyo on mazda ... they are not best or the worst.
Thnaks. Then I guess it is not the Toyo tires as such. Are there much better tires for this car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have found that dealers often say that the only thing acceptable is how the vehicle was manufactured. I am not surprised that they would say "I can not use non-low-profile tires". The reality is that 16 inch rims with the appropriate size tire will work great and will help reduce the possibility of a blowout when hitting a pothole.

I also wonder if the tire pressure is set too high causing the increased blowout issue. I believe they ship the cars with 50 pounds of pressure and the dealer is supposed to reduce it.
The tire pressure was set to recommended 36 PSI setting. If this continues then I would look into the 16" RIMS. Thanks for the adivce

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the dealer told him that he can not use non-low-profile tires. I say just post online and trade your 18" rims with someone who has a 16" set as he might want to upgrade.

You would get a ~25% increase in tire sidewall if you move to the 16" onces.
View attachment 275375
Thnaks a lot for the illustrations. This helps with the error it ight cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I blew a tire on a pothole this winter. $300cad... Expeeeensive ass cheap tires...

Also the toyo proxes do lose air considerably faster than even the GT Radials (Chinese tire) I ran on my old 6.

Deffs downsizing for the next winter and will probs swap out the toyos as their grip becomes non-existent in the rain.
You are right. They do seem to lose air. good to know you have the same experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you either misunderstood the dealer (maybe you were asking if you could put non-low profile tires on your factory rims?) or the information was wrong, but to start there is a specific forum for tires/wheels, and rather than posting a rant about this issue (I'm never gonna buy a Mazda again, I got a flat!) you should have read the existing posts from some of our urban/city drivers who switched over to 16" wheels due to pothole issues.

Thanks for pointing out the other forum.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks, it is great to know that you can put the 60R tires. So, did you change the RIM from 18 to 16. Thanks.

Yes - I purchased 16 inch wheels and tires from TireRack. I recommend that you go to the TireRack website, enter your vehicle and explore the options the site indicates will fit. Spend some time looking at the reviews for the different tire options.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you live in an area that has two seasons: Winter and construction, do yourself a BIG favor and downsize to 16" rims.
Probably pickup a set of 4 OEM Mazda 3's (previous gen) for $200, new premium tires for $500, $100 to mount and balance, and sell your OEM 2019 setup for more than the total downsized set.

Unless you're Andretti on the roads, you'll probably appreciate the more comfortable setup. And if you go with some nice all seasons/summer tires with fancy compounds, you can probably mitigate most of the "loss of responsiveness" when going from lower profile OEM tires to the squishier, but stickier compound all seasons/summers.

Highly recommend Continental DWS06 and Michelin AS3+ in the 16" sizes.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts