2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just upgraded to v33 myself and will grab a USB Ethernet adapter to ssh into the system. Hilarious stuff, wonder if/when Mazda will try harder to crack down on this. I believe I read SSH is disabled over WiFi (may have been an EU owner or hacked wifi back on) for v33 so a USB Ethernet adapter is a must for access every time?? I do appreciate how someone has started up http://mazda3hacks.com/ to isolate information about this. I'm really looking forward to these tweaks.

Anyways, I had been getting more and more reset/crash issues. This time, seemed to be related to a few songs having issues after lots of watching this happen. When you would play them I would always notice a bit of a lag in it showing the album art and for the seek marker to show up as moving. This seemed to get worse... and worse... over the period of a few months. Since the infotainment system always seems to "to go sleep" in different levels then come back to a saved hibernation point instead of fully rebooting/resetting, well I guess the buildup of this happening got things really wonky. System resource use didn't seem abnormal but the overall problems just kept getting worse until it would reset to it's last hibernation state restart on some of these songs that kept tripping it up.

It seems to be that if the album art for the song isn't 100% kosher with what JCI programmed for, it has trouble loading the song. Sometimes you may never notice because usually the audio plays right away so if you aren't staring at the screen, you never notice the jitter. Album art dimensions that are too far out of the "spec" of about 200x200 or 300x300 trip up the infotainment in ways that are either horribly obvious or subtle enough to overtime cause crashes until a full true system reset of the infotainment happens OR you fix your artwork.

I've attached a prime example of how this can happen. The wider artwork was being used on this track, which caused big issues. Album artwork databases may not always be totally accurate with what is the "front cover image" OR you simply may have a program that will actually fill out these alternate MP3 images, and there are a ton of ways to automatically get your album artwork into your MP3's. I use Picard.

It's easy to get songs that has an artwork issue that trips up your infotainment over the long run. MP3's can be tagged with a ridiculous number of images (see Embedding Album Art in MP3 Files | Richard Farrar), most of which are almost never used but JCI didn't account for resolutions being out of spec for the Front Cover image or other items being present in these other fields perhaps (see link), or somehow didn't handle it properly. Probably a bug JCI needs to address, perhaps they will notice this thread since they must be on the forum lurking to have perhaps realized the hacking going on.

Oh and... Gracenotes 4.0 seems to have been released. Still no new traffic map updates for Fall however. The first song I tried to voice command it to play wouldn't come on however :whistling 1:

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey,
I have read your post and now I'm curiouse if you changed all your album art pictures to a smaller size, and whether the crashes are gone now.

I have the same problem with my JCI. It works for one or two weeks without any problems. Then someday it crashes, and it will need one ore two hours until it operate normally again. I think it need the time to scan my 40GB of MP3 files.
Most of my MP3 files having album art picturs bigger than 300*300 pixel. So I hope I can resolve this problem with smaller pictures.

Thank you
JasMan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey,
I have read your post and now I'm curiouse if you changed all your album art pictures to a smaller size, and whether the crashes are gone now.

I have the same problem with my JCI. It works for one or two weeks without any problems. Then someday it crashes, and it will need one ore two hours until it operate normally again. I think it need the time to scan my 40GB of MP3 files.
Most of my MP3 files having album art picturs bigger than 300*300 pixel. So I hope I can resolve this problem with smaller pictures.

Thank you
JasMan
All my files have been changed to AAC with a cbr bitrate of 224 and all my artwork is 500 x 500 and I don't have any issues. When I was using MP3 files, vbr bitrate and they would freeze constantly.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
All my files have been changed to AAC with a cbr bitrate of 224 and all my artwork is 500 x 500 and I don't have any issues. When I was using MP3 files, vbr bitrate and they would freeze constantly.
I use MP3 with VBR and I have absolutely no freezes. I think much of the problem was in the tag and file structure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use MP3 with VBR and I have absolutely no freezes. I think much of the problem was in the tag and file structure.
Same here...never had a freeze. Bad tags and complex file, and encoding, has certainly created problems for many. Seems like once they corrected that, it solved much of their problems. It appears that AAC or MP3, with correct, and current, version of IDtags, and simple file structures, solves most music problems in a stable infotainment system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey I realized I'm not getting notifications for this thread!

Yeah sorry I dumped a ton into 1 thread, just tried to spit all of my thoughts out at once. I don't think they MUST be 300x300, but something that is a consistent square and not too large. The screen can't possibly display them much over that resolution anyways. After changing this on mine, SO FAR *crosses fingers* no major issues. Things seem to be going fairly smoothly.

As others have said, the tagging structure/ID3 info (where the album art resides) from MP3's seems to be the issue. I have not tested any VBR files myself.

I HAVE NOTICED SOMETHING INTERESTING THO! It always seemed like when I would add files to my USB stick, they never got fully incorporated into my collection. If I'm flipping through by song name, they were oddly placed at the end. I noticed because I kept searching for my new stuff then I'd hit it all at once regardless of how I was sorting things. If I had random on? I could NEVER get anything other than the 1st set of songs I put on "random" to ever appear in "random" again. Every time I'd add songs, my "random" selection stayed exactly the same (and repeated as well, I began to memorize what it would pick then it would loop through that same set again and again).

I upgraded to v33, formatted my flash drive & changed the name, added all of the files back to it. When I put it back into the car, it still saw the drive as it's old name! The new new songs that I added were there, but kind of "stuck at the end" again.

SOMEHOW/SOMEWHERE I think the MP3's on your device get indexed the 1st time you insert the drive. Then that index NEVER rebuilds correctly. The fact that it still shows my old drive name is a dead giveaway, the car NEVER saw the drive as it's old name since the v33 upgrade yet it still somehow knows it. I'm going to try to do a factory reset without the USB drive in, put it back in and see if it re-indexes correctly and the name changes. I want my "random" button to work right damnit!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Seems like a factory reset should clear the cache and put you back in business. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts