2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm quite tall and view the Active Driving Display (ADD) against the hood / bonnet. I've found a very simple way of greatly improving the ADD contrast. Don't do this if you see the ADD against the road ahead since your view of the road will be partly obscured.

1. Buy a sheet of thin matt black hobby card
  2. Cut out the trapezium shape + tab as shown in the photo. I used dimensions 11cm (top) x 13cm (bottom) x 5cm (height) with a rectangular tab 6.75cm x 2 cm centred on the bottom edge
  3. With the ADD in the closed position, carefully stick the card background to the black plastic support at the bottom of the HDD. I used double sided sticky tape since it is easily removed if you don't like the idea. I didn't want to stick anything to the clear part of the ADD.
  4. Adjust the ADD display as required and ensure your view of the road is not obstructed.

Attachments

·
Working Class Hero
3,610 Posts
Interesting. I'm tall, so I view well above the HUD. I'll be investigating this more...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still pleased with this simple mod after a few days since I now have excellent display contrast even in very sunny weather.

If you use A4 black card, then you will find 5 sheets joined along the vertical edge just fit the sedan rear parcel shelf and suppress most of the reflections you get from the shiny parcel shelf - another irritating issue Mazda should have sorted out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good idea! Another member here posted a similar tweak, except instead of a black card, they used window tint. They cut it to size/shape and and stuck it on the back of the display. It made the background darker and provided more contrast but they could still see through it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mod is still working fine and hasn't fallen off yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just adjusted it so the display appears in front of the windshield wiper well - dark background, high contrast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts