2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, good looking tint! And it looks like it won't give you any PD trouble. I don't know much about tinting, what's with "ceramic" tinting? And how much does this stuff cut the heat. Because boy howdy was our new car freaking hot in the sun today! marsdog, you know how hot it was. Does this ceramic stuff make any difference on that?

And what's cost like?

Car looks sharp, love that red.
Well, Hamid at Sunshield, whom I highly recommend (splash) showed me a demo of this "ceramic" right next to a much darker conventional tint. I can't give you numbers, but there was a noticeable drop in temp when he shined a heatlamp though the "ceramic" as opposed to the conventional metallic tint. If I remember correctly this lighter 30 tint on the side cut heat transmission by about 42% and the darker 60 by 48%. The conventional tint was quoted at $165, the ceramic $225.

I didn't do much driving in the hellish temps today, but I'll get my fill tomorrow, and I'm sure it will be much cooler!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got my tinting done this weekend. My priority was heat so I went with lighter tint Madico/Winco ceramic (which reduces heat much better than darker metallics films). All sides are a 30 ( 70% light transmission) and the back is 60 (40% light transmission)
haha...when i first saw those pictures i was like...wait, i don't remember taking those shots...then i realized it was your car and not mine....haha

·
Registered
343 Posts
50% front and 35% rear

Look great! I was more conservative on my tint... I don't need any attention from the police! ;)

Question, my car does not have that side marker lamp just behind the front fender, is that just Canadian spec?

BTW: Never been a fan of silver or grey cars, but dang, that looks good!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dang, these 5-doors look great tinted. Although I too would go marsdog's route for less PD attention.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
All the cars I have had have always been tinted fairly dark, never had a problem with police

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been talking with neighbors, no one could tell me they've been pulled over for moderately dark tinting, but they have been pulled over for no front plate and that led to a citation for the tinting! I'm getting a little paranoid now!

I know police use the front plate to target the radar, so I can see how that might draw more attention than my tinting. Especially for a bright red hatch!! :sad 1:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here in Santa Clarita they've gotten real aggressive about no front plate. The reason is primarily for those photo stop light cameras--they generate over half a million dollars in revenue for the city now. But they need the front plate to get the photo of the car, plate and driver's face.

marsdog, your tint doesn't look too bad. One tip that 3 of my PD/Sheriff friends have given me is this: If you get pulled over, the instant you see the lights, hit the buttons to roll down your front two windows. When you pull over, remember to always keep BOTH hands on the steering wheel as the officer walks up to your door. Do NOT try to reach for your wallet or glovebox, just sit patiently with hands on the wheel. This reassures the officer and they'll be in a lot better mood when they can see that you're unarmed.

Rolling down the windows is not about hiding your tint, it's about ensuring that the officer can see into the car for their own safety.

This won't guarantee that you won't get a tinting ticket, but your odds are way better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Look great! I was more conservative on my tint... I don't need any attention from the police! ;)

Question, my car does not have that side marker lamp just behind the front fender, is that just Canadian spec?

BTW: Never been a fan of silver or grey cars, but dang, that looks good!!

It's not that dark, the picture makes it look worse than it is!

As for the side marker lamp, it's just a matter of which spec your car is. If you have a fully loaded model with the lights in the mirrors then you don't have the side markers.

And yes this color really looks great, has depth to it and it's bland like silver.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you have a fully loaded model with the lights in the mirrors then you don't have the side markers.
Thanks for explaining that! I'd wondered why some had the side marker and some didn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I kind of want the windows darker than the 35% allowed on the front windows. State law only restricts the front windows (and no tint on windshield). My real preference would be to do the 50% on all windows, as I really don't like the 'checkered' look of having fronts lighter than back. So maybe you're right in just doing all at 35%. We'll see here in a few hours!!

the arch is pretty cool! Especially if you went up and looked out at top...
Here are a few pictures of my 3 with tinting. I ended up going the 20% (light transmission) all the way around.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my 3 with tinting. I ended up going the 20% (light transmission) all the way around.
Looks awesome! I wish I had the nerve to go so dark!
One more question regarding equipment. I'm assuming your car is a GT with LED tailights? If so, why are your lights different from mine (red circles, as opposed to white)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think your's looks really good! I really debated how dark to go. In hindsight, with my dark interior, I think the 35% would've been nice too....may even have matched the color a bit better?

There was a Firebird at the shop with the 5% all the way around - that was dark! And obviously illegal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Go see your local eye doctor and tell him that you have extreme sensitivity to light. Not only will your insurance cover a nice new pair of Oakleys (or other nice sunglasses) but you can get a doctor's reccomendation (basicly a prescription) in most states allowing you to do as dark as 18% on all windows (except front obviously).

<-- Used to work in an Opthamologist's office.

I'll post my 18% when i get it done in a couple weeks ;-)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts