2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last car (a 2014) had a Ceramic tint on it that I liked very much. It looked solid, blocked light enough, and did a good job reflecting UV rays. I'm curious how tinting has changed in those past 3 1/2 years since my last car. I don't remember the Carbon Nano stuff being around, which appears to be the highest end tint available. Since some of the people on this forum have done this investigation more recently than I have, I would be interested in any feedback you have.

Also, if anyone around the Kansas City area has a tint shop they would recommend, I would be very interested in that as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just had my 2017 M3 done with 3M Nano-Carbon as compared to my Focus ST that had ceramic. Both cars were done at 5% tint all the way around (except windshield) and i can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in heat reduction from the Florida sun and also a difference is clarity and viability looking through the tint out of the vehicle. From what i can tell is the car probably stays cooler about 5-8 degrees, probably 50% less glare, the tint has a better color from the inside. Very happy with the results

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey! I'm in KC and just had my windows done on Tuesday at Midwest Tinting (Shawnee Mission Pkwy location). I have to go back this afternoon to have them look at a couple of things. Depending on how they handle them, I'll let you know if they live up to their reviews or not. Their overall reviews were pretty good so that's why I went with them. Had a couple of bubbles that don't look like they're going away on one window that I'm hoping they will fix and also had one of the small back windows somehow get scratched. Other than that, it looks really good and they were good about working with MO tint rules even though they're on the KS side.

Highest level material they seem to have on hand is the ceramic film. I just have the standard film since the ceramic was $400 versus $220. The two films they had in between have metal in them or are the really bad looking reflective stuff that even they gloss over when explaining your options.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ok, I would not suggest Midwest Tinting. Went back in yesterday to see what they would say. They swear up and down that nothing they do would scratch the windows. This despite the scratch not being there the night before. I get it back and what do I see today? A second scratch on the same window they redid yesterday. They're going to get an earful Monday. Besides that, I'm starting to see all of these tiny little bubbles popping up everywhere.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Take a look at spectra photosync tint, so far they are the best tint I've used and I've tried many top tier tint out there. It's pricey though, I spent $1k to get my mazda3 tinted and that includes the windshield. I recently did the same tint on my cx-5. The darkest shade they have is 35% right now and it's rated at 79% total solar heat rejected which is what you feel when sun hits your car. You don't have to go dark to get the heat rejection and it blocks more heat than ceramic limo tint. Very popular on tint on the tesla forums. The place I went to charged $1800 just to tint the tesla SUV windshield because it's huge and goes over your head or something and they were able to do it in one piece. I was shocked when I saw the guy in front of me pay lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a long discussion with a the owner of Tint Master in North KC. I decided to go with a normal tint. He said that most of the carbon nano stuff out there only marginally has a better TSH rejection rate than then baseline stuff. Plus, the baseline stuff of quality tint is pretty good (Tint Master uses Solar Gard). I opted for this company; they had my car done in 50 minutes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm so jealous, you guys talking about tint and stuff, in NYS you cannot get a vehicle inspected if you have any tint except back window. I'm just talking about an ordinary mortals w/o any affiliation with law enforcement or the public officials being an employee or relative. I was about to get a tint last year and found out that the draft is on the table ready to be signed. Cannot imagine my frustration wasting $500 min, sorry hijacking a thread.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
148 Posts
Ok, I would not suggest Midwest Tinting. Went back in yesterday to see what they would say. They swear up and down that nothing they do would scratch the windows. This despite the scratch not being there the night before. I get it back and what do I see today? A second scratch on the same window they redid yesterday. They're going to get an earful Monday. Besides that, I'm starting to see all of these tiny little bubbles popping up everywhere.
It’s common to see bubbles for a little while with wet application. Give it a week or so and they should go away.

I also wanted to ask, has anyone had any problems with tinting the backglass due to the rear defrost strips?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It’s common to see bubbles for a little while with wet application. Give it a week or so and they should go away.

I also wanted to ask, has anyone had any problems with tinting the backglass due to the rear defrost strips?
No issues with the back glass at all on my sedan. Have 15% ceramic on all 4 windows and rear glass, 50% ceramic entire front windshield. What a difference it makes down here in florida

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
148 Posts
No issues with the back glass at all on my sedan. Have 15% ceramic on all 4 windows and rear glass, 50% ceramic entire front windshield. What a difference it makes down here in florida
Not to discount your contribution, but I imagine you don’t have as much use for the rear defrost as a bit farther north. I was more asking about if the heat of the defrost strips causes any separation of the adhesive or brittleness of the tint.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not to discount your contribution, but I imagine you don’t have as much use for the rear defrost as a bit farther north. I was more asking about if the heat of the defrost strips causes any separation of the adhesive or brittleness of the tint.
Very true. I have used it a few times down here in FL this year with no issues. Not sure what the auto shut off timer is on it but I never turn it off manually. I just turn it on to de-fog the rear windshield and it eventually shuts off. But I've never had any issues in the past with other vehicles. Probably depends on the quality of tint, I always go higher end since it's not much more and I have always done ceramic tint. Hopefully someone more northern can chime in here though!

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts

No issues here in Chicago, even during the dreaded polar vortex.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts